D&D 5E Hlow good are archers in 5e?

Paraxis

Explorer
It is not always powergaming to ask what is efficient. I haven't decided on anything at this point. I'm mostly trying to get an idea of the different capabilities and ways to mix things from other classes.

If I were to dip into Rogue after lvl 1 in Ranger about when would you suggest I do so and for how many levels?

Question about Colossus Slayer...a friend has this ability in another game I'm in. The name seems to imply it can only be used on very large creatures but nothing mechanically in the description seems to suggest this. Can you indeed use this on any creature that has already been damaged?

Not sure about the order but you eventually want atleast 5 levels in each class, the extra attack from ranger, the ability score increase/feats, all good.

Colossus slayer works on any size target as long as it has taken damage.

Lidgar

Gongfarmer
Ranger with colossus slayer (target just needs to be below their hp max) + the hunter's mark spell is very effective. Basically 1d8 + 1d8 + 1d6 + Dex mod for damaged foes. And once you get the extra attacked, hunter's mark applies to every attack (colossus is only 1/rnd).

Paraxis

Explorer
The more we talk about this I want to make one now, but I think I would combine it with the crossbow expert feat and make a demon hunter from Diablo 3.
diablo_3_303px-demon_hunter_male.png

Runny

First Post
Sharpshooter for the win. In our game whenever the Rangers turn pops up we hear, "Go for the head shot!" From the peanut gallery.

Bayonet

First Post
I'd go Archery Style fighter. With 16 dex, that's +7 to hit whatever you're aiming at, which doesn't result in many misses. Additionally, you get the fighters ability to wear heavy armor,tank a lot of damage, and use whatever weapon you want when your arrow-studded enemy staggers close. That's a pretty good start for a level one character.

Zaruthustran

The tingling means it’s working!
I'd recommend Fighter over Ranger.

The Battle Master, in particular, is amazing with a bow. All those maneuvers, performed at range. For example:

Menacing attack
: on a hit, the target has to Wis save or be frightened. If it's frightened, it can't approach you.
Pushing attack: on a hit, target must make Str save or be pushed 15 feet. You can shoot enemy archers off their perches, knock faraway foes off cliffs, or shoot riders off mounts (or mounts from underneath riders--don't shoot the AC 20 knight, shoot his AC 11 horse).
Trip attack: same as above, except prone. This is a terrific maneuver to use against flying opponents (PHB p 191).

All of the above can be performed from 600 feet away.

If you do Ranger (for the damage buffs and spells), then consider getting the Martial Adept feat and picking up Menacing Attack and Trip Attack. They're super useful.

Last edited:

Sacrosanct

Legend
I'd recommend Fighter over Ranger.

The Battle Master, in particular, is amazing with a bow. All those maneuvers, performed at range. For example:

Menacing attack
: on a hit, the target has to Wis save or be frightened. If it's frightened, it can't approach you.
Pushing attack: on a hit, target must make Str save or be pushed 15 feet. You can shoot enemy archers off their perches, knock faraway foes off cliffs, or shoot riders off mounts (or mounts from underneath riders--don't shoot the AC 20 knight, shoot his AC 11 horse).
Trip attack: same as above, except prone. This is a terrific maneuver to use against flying opponents (PHB p 191).

All of the above can be performed from 600 feet away.

If you do Ranger (for the damage buffs and spells), then consider getting the Martial Adept feat and picking up Menacing Attack and Trip Attack. They're super useful.

As written, you're right, but anyone want to take bets on how fast that gets errata'd? Pushing someone 15ft away with an arrow at 600ft range? I don't think that was the intent, even if it's technically written that way.

Zaruthustran

The tingling means it’s working!
As written, you're right, but anyone want to take bets on how fast that gets errata'd? Pushing someone 15ft away with an arrow at 600ft range? I don't think that was the intent, even if it's technically written that way.

I'd take that bet, with "never errata'd". The maneuvers meticulously detail which ones work with "a weapon", and which ones work with "a melee weapon." The intent is perfectly clear.

So far I've been impressed with how well the 5E rules are written. That long playtest resulted in considerable refinement.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases