• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Hobbits are Back!

Jawsh

First Post
The idea that this game is taking itself to seriously has crept into our art as well. I'll give an example - in the last two editions if you look at the art, I think you'll see a lot of characters that look like super heroes. They all look like they've been to the gym recently, they don't have backpacks for traveling through the dungeon - the guys are well shaven. In our recent art we've added a more diverse, modular approach - you've got people that look vastly different. You'll have the halfling who's a bit overweight with some food stains on his clothes along side the more heroic look dashing sort.

Woo! Hobbits are back in the game! Okay, not with the name hobbit, but anyways.

Although, as much as I like my tubby hobbits, it seems kind of stereotypical for the hobbit to be the fat one. Why not a fat human? Or would a chubby human be confused with a dwarf? Surely WotC's artists aren't that bad. And while we're at it, can we have some full-figured female heroes too?

Aside, do you think the more hobbitty halflings has anything to do with the upcoming Peter Jackson film? My money is on yes.

Mercurius

Legend
Hobbits are fat because they love the good life - lounging, food, etc.

I think the best approach would be to go back to the 1E approach of having a couple sub-races -- one can be hobbits and one can be gypsies/kender-esque.

Nivenus

First Post
Woo! Hobbits are back in the game! Okay, not with the name hobbit, but anyways.

Although, as much as I like my tubby hobbits, it seems kind of stereotypical for the hobbit to be the fat one. Why not a fat human? Or would a chubby human be confused with a dwarf? Surely WotC's artists aren't that bad. And while we're at it, can we have some full-figured female heroes too?

Hard to say, though it bears in mind that he's saying that there will be both fat and skinny halflings, so it's not beyond the realm of possibility that there will be fat humans as well. It's just that the fat halfling is a bit more iconic.

Aside, do you think the more hobbitty halflings has anything to do with the upcoming Peter Jackson film? My money is on yes.

Possibly. But Jackson's hobbits have never been particularly fat IMO.

ferratus

Adventurer
I don't know if they'll have the hairy feet unfortunately. Both the Tolkien estate and New Line are more active these days, and are probably even more protective of their IP. The shift to halflings to slimmer, more adventurous humans was at least partially motivated by a desire to distance themselves from any legal problems wasn't it?

But as long as they keep the shoes on, and keep the slim halflings alongside the real halflings in the artwork, they can stay safe while we get our hobbits back.

Glade Riven

Adventurer
Sure, but how about a fat elf? One thing I like about recent Zelda games is that they aren't afraid to have elves look like something other than asexual twigs. Okay, 4e was a little better than that, but in D&D it seems that elves have 60 different subspecies with all the same build.

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
Sure, but how about a fat elf? One thing I like about recent Zelda games is that they aren't afraid to have elves look like something other than asexual twigs. Okay, 4e was a little better than that, but in D&D it seems that elves have 60 different subspecies with all the same build.

In D&D, an elf can look like Dr Who.

Too soon?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads