• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Hobbits are Back!

Jacob Marley

Adventurer
Now this is news I can get behind. Of course, my halflings have always been a bit portly, with big hairy feet, regardless of what offical D&D said. :)

howandwhy99

Adventurer
I think this kind of diversity is good. It really does matter that there isn't a "right kind of hero" for the game.

Some folks want to be your ordinary Joe, but facing extraordinary circumstances. They are a hero precisely because they live up to those moments and don't back down.

Some folks want to be that guy or that girl. Every day we are us, often ordinary, or simply wanting to escape when it life isn't. Why wouldn't I want to be a person who confidently walks forward because there are no doubts they can face whatever comes.

And plenty of other people just too utterly unique to limit by pigeon-holing them. They know who they are and what they are up to. This isn't about pretending to be someone else or being like everybody else. It's idiosyncrasy which doesn't fit the norm.

I simply like having all options available. I think our art and illustrations can reflect this.

Jawsh

First Post
I didn't notice this before, but Jeremy calls the new approach to artwork "modular". It was probably a slip of the tongue, because how on Earth can artwork be modular?

But what it does go to show is how much these guys are drilling on their talking points. "What is 5e?" Modular modular modular modular modular. The artwork is modular. The classes are modular. The monsters are modular. The dice are modular. The equipment is modular. Modular.

modular.

Jawsh

First Post
You know what I'd also like to see is some really scummy elves. Elves with food stains on their shirt. Long, floppy pointed ears, battered elf-hat, peach-fuzz beard, and a spine that isn't fully erect.

Edit: what the crap is PEACH?

Ichneumon

First Post
This is shaping up to be the messy eaters edition.

PEACH = Please Evaluate And Criticize Honestly, if my memory's correct. Often seen during 3/3.5e; less so during 4e when making a homebrew class meant not just creating a PEACH, but the whole darned tree.

SlyDoubt

First Post
I grew up playing 3E and todd lockwood's halflings are what I have always pictured (for D&D).

However, there's nothing wrong with this. Just as there is a portly halfling there can be a sly and lithe halfling. No problem.

As for the illustrations being modular. I think he meant the tone and style of your specific game and campaign will be represented by the variety of artwork in the books. IE: We will see very rough and tumble characters without anything magical just barely scraping by. We will also see decked out magical heroes travelling the planes and battling gods.

Just as the rules are meant to be modular and fit a variety of styles I think the art will be directed to represent this variety in style.

I just hope it doesn't look like a mess. I would not want to be the art director on this.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads