• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Hobbits are Back!

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
How many humans are working in their late 70's, 80's, or 90's?

Take a look in 2-5 years hence. ;( at least for American adults. very sad. Besides the fact, why are or would we be basing human age brackets and expectations on a non-human race.

But as written, statistically, half of many elven communities might consist of these aged specimens. Who takes care of them? Particularly given the race's well known low birthrate.

As I mentioned in my post above, I'm not saying this affects dungeon exploration. I'm just saying that it doesn't make much sense from a logic perspective.

Banshee

Fair enough, but if, this fantasy race is living, despite aging/increasing age, with vitality and coherency why not? They don't need "young" to take care of them. They're just "old" not "infirmed."

Adulthood in the mid 100s doesn't make sense either. If you want elves to be really long lived, the vast majority of live should be equivalent to the 30s and 40s.

I have my elves age, as per normal "human" standard until they reach maturity...then the "aging" processes stops/slows beyond human (in a D&D world) comprehension.

Because it means that most of the elves you meet should be venerable, which makes them a whole lot weaker than elves are typically portrayed to be.

And why is that? If an elf is 820 y.o. and that equates a human "50-ish" why is it a "whole lot weaker"? They know more magic, they've seen untold decades of indescribable thigns, had time to hone a multitude of skills. Just because most "venerable" elves won't take you on in a sword-dual...though probably could...doesn't make them weak.

"This 'human need' to assert one's prominence is beyond me...but if you will...have at thee!"

It doesn't mesh very well with the flavour of the race - long lived sure, but, a bunch of octogenarians? If the flavor was to match the mechanics, then every elven settlement you walked into would look like a seriously well preserved old folks home.

A genetic attribute of the race...Visual aging does not happen...until the last, say, 5 (? 10?) years of life.

Why is that so tough to wrap one's head around?

Are you thinking of ascendants, or regular Tiste Andii? I'm thinking regulars. Reading through Reaper's Gale at the moment, and a whole tribe of them just got butchered by regular human soldiers, no problem. So it's evident that not all of them are so powerful. Yes, the Silchas Ruins and Anomander Rakes might be......but they're high level, semi divine characters....epic in level.

I think elves could be long lived in a similar way, without expressly all being high level or super powerful as a result. They're not all adventurers.

AH! There's the crux of it. No, they are not. Nor are humans or dwarves or halflings. Just so.

And, statistically, what are the odds of one living to a full lifespan without succumbing to some kind of accident? Just because they *could* live to 700 years (or 2000 years or 500 or whatever) doesn't mean they would. Could be that many succumb to accidents or illness well before that....be it coming down with some bad disease, getting drunk on elfwine and falling off a tree bridge and falling 50m to their doom after some revel, or getting kicked in the head by a horse......only your "special" ones or those that are lucky might last that full period.

Yes. So where's the problem? What's the difference of aged elves being revered and holding positions of authority vs. aged human elders?

Wasn't this a thread about halflings?

Put it this way.....WotC put immortal elves in the game in Birthright, and it sure didn't seem to ruin that setting.

I actually think a setting where there are some kind of anti-demi human sentiments could be cool.....sort of like in The Witcher.

Banshee

I don't know what that is...but ok, fine.

I have, and have had for years, immortal elves in my campaign...not the primary elf-PC race, no..but they exist in the world and have had players want elf characters from the immortal elf species...No problem. They're immortal, not invulnerable. You die...You die...the same as the 2,000, 500, 10,000 or 150 y.o. elves.

And again...this isn't the "Hobbits are Back" thread? I musta stepped into some mud again...third time today!

--Steel -give me hairy feet or give me death- Dragons

Yora

Legend
I have my elves age, as per normal "human" standard until they reach maturity...then the "aging" processes stops/slows beyond human (in a D&D world) comprehension.
Another nice addition is to have it speed up again near the end. With most animals, and apparently for most of human history, once your body started to fail, you've reached the end of your life. Today, you can easily spend the last third of your life in a frail and weakening body. I think in D&D 3rd Edition, elves could live more than half their life with the -6 penalty to Str, Dex, and Con for the last age category. And Str 4, Dex 6, Con 2 for the average elf is not fun, even less so if you have to live like that for 400 years.

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
Another nice addition is to have it speed up again near the end. With most animals, and apparently for most of human history, once your body started to fail, you've reached the end of your life. Today, you can easily spend the last third of your life in a frail and weakening body. I think in D&D 3rd Edition, elves could live more than half their life with the -6 penalty to Str, Dex, and Con for the last age category. And Str 4, Dex 6, Con 2 for the average elf is not fun, even less so if you have to live like that for 400 years.

True. Yes. Maybe "aging" in the noticeable/physical sense happens in a matter of months instead of years. Maybe ritualized euthanasia is the cultural norm? Maybe the "fragile" elves are shipped off to the "western lands behind/beyond the sun". Maybe...a hundred different things.

But the concept if "aged" elves is not a new one. I recall seeing the cover to one of the Dragonlance modules...it was a Parkinson piece, I think! Maybe an Easley?...of the elf-king looking all drawn and haggard and...old? With his gaunt hand upon a dragon orb...a green dragon looking over his shoulder.

My understanding of elves, up to that point, included no concept of "old". It was an eye-opener to be sure.

What we, as humans, can do for the last third of "life" has no baring/nothing to do with other, non-human, races.

As has been stipulated in multiple other threads over the years, elves are not "pointy eared humans", dwarves are not "shot guys with beards" and halflings are not "sub-humans with hairy feet".

They are their OWN people. Their OWN "race". With their own cultures and cultural standards, including age progression. Think of anything non-human as "different/alien" not as "humans + or - 1 or 2 in this or that."

Yora

Legend
As has been stipulated in multiple other threads over the years, elves are not "pointy eared humans", dwarves are not "shot guys with beards" and halflings are not "sub-humans with hairy feet".

They are their OWN people. Their OWN "race". With their own cultures and cultural standards, including age progression. Think of anything non-human as "different/alien" not as "humans + or - 1 or 2 in this or that."

You got some links on that? I am currently in that phase for my work on races.
(Here's gnomes and elves.)

Banshee16

First Post
True. Yes. Maybe "aging" in the noticeable/physical sense happens in a matter of months instead of years. Maybe ritualized euthanasia is the cultural norm? Maybe the "fragile" elves are shipped off to the "western lands behind/beyond the sun". Maybe...a hundred different things.

But the concept if "aged" elves is not a new one. I recall seeing the cover to one of the Dragonlance modules...it was a Parkinson piece, I think! Maybe an Easley?...of the elf-king looking all drawn and haggard and...old? With his gaunt hand upon a dragon orb...a green dragon looking over his shoulder.

My understanding of elves, up to that point, included no concept of "old". It was an eye-opener to be sure.

What we, as humans, can do for the last third of "life" has no baring/nothing to do with other, non-human, races.

Definitely, you can have "old" elves....at least if they're not immortal elves. In the Birthright setting, it means something different. A character could speak with a 2,400 year old elf who might physically look like a youngster, but mentally and emotionally is *old*.

As to the painting you're thinking of, that is Lorac Caledon, under the influence of Cyan Bloodbane and the Dragon Orb, from the Dragonlance setting. Lorac actually wasn't really old. Maybe early middle age....but the Dragon Orb basically sucked the life from him. I think he was like 400 years old...given in that setting, his grandfather lived something like 2,1000 years, 400 wasn't much :)

I get your point, though..

As to them being their own people, I agree....this is one reason I dislike the aging rules as written in 2nd and 3rd Ed as they don't make sense for that race, given everything written about them in WotC's own fiction.

Banshee

tuxgeo

Adventurer
Doh! Sorry. I hate when people do that to me. Where do I find them on the posting interface? What does the button look like?

Banshee

There is no button. You have to remember the made-up word "sblock" (without the quotation marks), and enclose that within square brackets, sort of like this: [sblock](hidden content goes here)[/sblock]

And, yes, I had to use the "noparse" and "/noparse" tags to make that show up that way.
(If I hadn't used noparse, then the entire "(hidden content goes here)" part would have been hidden by the show/hide spoiler feature.)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads