• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Hollow's Last Hope [IC]

YeOldeAlbatross

First Post
COMBAT, ROUND 1B

Jebbo looks on in horror as the wolves pounce onto and begin tearing apart his friend. Shocked for a moment, tears welling up in his eyes, he stands in shock, glancing towards Jared, expecting that he will know what to do.
[sblock=Jebbo, Combat Action]Delays initiative until after Jared's turn next round.[/sblock]
END ROUND 1
-----------------------------------
BEGIN ROUND 2

Initiative and Status
18: Hakkara (11/14 hp)
14: Jared (9/9 hp)
14: Jebbo (8/8 hp)
12: Loricallior (12/12 hp)
12: Wolf #1 (-2 hp)(-2 AC from charge)
12: Wolf #2 (-2 AC from charge)
8: Cyryn (-6/7 hp, Dying)

Seeing Cyryn fall, Hakkara flies into a fury, recalling the spirits of her feral ancestors, friends of the wolf -- but not these wolves! "Foul cur," she cries out. "You'll not last a moment longer. No mercy!" Her sword flashes at the wolves, seeking blood. The blade falls exactly two times, and with each sword stroke, a wolf lets out a terrible, piteous yelp of pain. The first collapses to the bloody grass and lies still. The second wolf still stands, but badly maimed. It is clear that it clings tenuously to life.
[sblock= Hakkara, Combat Action]Hakkara takes a 5ft step forward and enters a rage. She uses her attacks to swipe once at each wolf. Each attack hits for 13 damage, killing wolf #1, disabling wolf #2.

1. Full Round Attack (Bastard Sword): 1d20+3=20, 1d20+3=20 - HEY THE SAME ROLL TWICE! :D :D
2. Damage Rolls (if necessary): 1d10+6=13, 1d10+6=13 - WEIRD!

NOTE: Hakkara's AC is 18 while in rage.[/sblock]
Loricallior moves forward a step then turns and a line of fire lashes out licking over the last wolf. Critically wounded by Hakkara's sword, this attack proves too much for the wolf. It whines pathetically as the flame burns its flank, then collapses. An eerie silence falls over the hillside as the battle decisively ends.
[sblock=Loricallior, combat action]Breath weapon vs. wolf #2, wolf's REF save succeeds. Wolf #2 takes 2 damage, killing it.
Wolf #2 reflex save (1d20+5=17)
Loricallior breath weapon, half damage. (1d3=2)[/sblock]
END COMBAT

In the short battle's aftermath, Jared kneels and prays to his Goddess to save his ally's life. A small amount of healing power flows from the faithful priest, staunching the flow of blood and easing Cyryn's ragged breathing. The rogue remains unconscious, but it is apparent that he will pull through. (Augmented Cure Minor Wounds: Cyryn regains 2 hp, and stabilizes)

Status
Hakkara (11/14 hp)
Jared (9/9 hp)
Jebbo (8/8 hp)
Loricallior (12/12 hp)
Cyryn (-4/7 hp, Stable)

OOC: hero, I'm not actually sure whether Augment Healing is meant to improve Cure Minor or not, but it seems reasonable so I went with it. Also, you may have noticed that I played with the initiative order a bit, since the battle's outcome was a foregone conclusion.

Okay, you've got an unconscious and seriously wounded rogue, and night has well and truly fallen. What are you going to do now?

Nazhkandrias

First Post
Jebbo stares at the fallen bodies of the wolves, dead silent. His eyes tear up again, and he runs up to one of the wolves and kicks it squarely in the side. "That's what y'all get, y'mangy mutts!" Angrily, he kicks it again, but his foot slips and he falls on his back. Frustrated, he picks himself up, dusts himself off, and walks over to the fallen Cyryn. Apologetically, he looks at the unconscious man. "Ah'm so sorry, Cyryn. Ah didn't know what t'do. Ah reckon that ah'm less useful 'n my Pappy, when he tried t'help Ma bake a blackberry pie... Poor, silly fool thought that 'tsp' meant 'two solid palms', 'stead 'a 'teaspoon'... Never had a saltier pie in all m'life!" Jebbo wipes away his tears and smiles. "We'll get y'through this, Cyryn. Ah promise."

Jebbo turns to Jared, a worried expression on his face. "We can't go on, not with Cyryn bein' in a state like this... We gotta rest up, let 'im re-coop-irate." Jebbo pauses for a moment, looking at the ground ashamedly. "Thanks for helpin' 'im out, back there an' all. Ah'm... sorry. Ah didn't know what t'do. It won't be a-happenin' again. Ah swear on the Barrelbuster's Goodwood Tree itself!" Jebbo stamps his foot to illustrate the point, his features now firmly set and determined.

He walks over to Cyryn, sits down, and taps his backpack. Foolsbait pops out, sensing that the danger is gone. The fox bounces out of the pack and onto the ground, walking up next to Cyryn. Foolsbait curls up next to Cyryn's head, and licks his ear. Jebbo smiles, and says, "Awww, Foolsbait, you ol' softie, you. Keep an eye on 'im, make sure he don't get into no trouble, now!" Jebbo winks at the fox, sighs, and watches Foolsbait, wondering what foxes think about when they get to thinking.

[sblock=OOC]Cuteness... OVERWHELMING!!! :D Anyway, I really must suggest that we make camp somewhere nearby. We'll need Cyryn before we head in there, since it's an abandoned monastery... I mean, damn, is there anything that screams "dungeon" and "monster" more than that? ;) Besides, we need to recharge spells and heal our wounds before we do anything else. So, all for settling down for the night and enjoying a filling meal of wolf-on-a-stick, say "aye"![/sblock]

Last edited:

hero4hire

Explorer
"Do not be hard on yourself Jebbo. You have a strength of character and that will see you through this." Jared said to the halfling. "I have been able to stave off death's grasp on our ally. But he is not out of danger yet. We need to move him to a dry defendable area." he shook his head. "I believe those wolves acted on an intelligence not of thier own. Normally wolves only attack when near starvation. But there is game a plenty in these parts and these two look anything but emaciated." he finished indicating the dead duo. "I believe they were Guardians to someone or something that has taken refuge here. So I doubt the wisdom of crossing that threshold for shelter. Hakkara can you get some long tree limbs so we can fashion a makeshift girnie for our fallen friend?"

Insight

Adventurer
"Whatever the reason for their attack," Hakkara points out, "I have no doubt there are more of them. We must not wait here to be attacked. Let's find suitable shelter and nurse Cyryn back to life."

[sblock=OOC]Hakkara can use Survival to find a good place to camp. What she's looking for is a defensible spot that has somewhere we can rest Cyryn so he can recover for a full night's rest.

survival (1d20+4=20)

If that doesn't work, I guess she can take 20 for a 24.

[/sblock]

hero4hire

Explorer
Insight said:
"Whatever the reason for their attack," Hakkara points out, "I have no doubt there are more of them. We must not wait here to be attacked. Let's find suitable shelter and nurse Cyryn back to life."

[sblock=OOC]Hakkara can use Survival to find a good place to camp. What she's looking for is a defensible spot that has somewhere we can rest Cyryn so he can recover for a full night's rest.

survival (1d20+4=20)

If that doesn't work, I guess she can take 20 for a 24.

[/sblock]

"Umm yes." Jared said confused why the Barbarian woman reiterated exactly what he said.
"So those tree limbs for the stretcher?" he asked her again hopefully.

YeOldeAlbatross

First Post
It is clear that the party is in no shape to enter the ruined monastery this night. With the possibility of further dangers prowling around the hillside, the group agrees to retreat to the relative safety of the treeline, and rest until morning. Jared and Hakkara manage to cobble together a makeshift litter from some sturdy branches and spare garments, while Loricallior and Jebbo keep watch over Cyryn's unconscious form.

Hakkara (Survival Check succeeds) locates a spot at the base of a large darkwood that seems fairly defensible, and the group makes camp. At more than one point in the night, the distant howling of wolves can be heard carrying across the wilderness, but none approach the party's campsite. The night passes without further danger.

Jared clutches his cloak tightly about him in the chilly morning air, praying to Sarenrae for the renewal of his spells.

OOC: Okay, hero, Jared's spells are restored, so let me know what spells you want to memorize, and how you want to handle Cyryn's healing. Current hp breakdown (after resting):

Hakkara (12/14 hp)
Jared (9/9 hp)
Jebbo (8/8 hp)
Loricallior (12/12 hp)
Cyryn (-3/7 hp, Stable)

Voadam

Legend
Loricallior sits cross-legged yet alert next to Cyryn during his watch. When it is time for him to rest the elf closes his eyes and seems to go into a meditative trance.

Insight

Adventurer
Before setting out, Hakkara will make a sweep of the 100yd radius around the tree to make sure there are no wolves or anything else lurking waiting to ambush the heroes.

YeOldeAlbatross

First Post
Insight said:
Before setting out, Hakkara will make a sweep of the 100yd radius around the tree to make sure there are no wolves or anything else lurking waiting to ambush the heroes.
Everything looks safe to Hakkara's wary eye.

Remove ads