D&D 5E Hombrew - Sorcerer - New Metamagic - Feedback needed

Ragmon

Explorer
Hi guys and gals.

I'm playing a Dragon bloodline Sorcerer and the DM and me were talked about letting me have a custom metamagic.

The concept: Change the type of damage the spell deals, the types are chosen from the Draconic Heritage list (acid, cold, fire, lightning, poison).
Cost: We aren't sure how much Sorcery Points its should cost. 1 per spell seems low and 1/spell level/spell seems high. (I'm thinking 2 would be enough).

What are your thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

I recommend something like admixture: you add 1dx (where x varies by your level) damage of the type associated with your dragon ancestry per SP to any target that takes damage from the spell. At low levels (where SP's are rare), you get a little more bang for your buck, and at high levels, you can go crazy with a nova shot

Hi guys and gals.

I'm playing a Dragon bloodline Sorcerer and the DM and me were talked about letting me have a custom metamagic.

The concept: Change the type of damage the spell deals, the types are chosen from the Draconic Heritage list (acid, cold, fire, lightning, poison).
Cost: We aren't sure how much Sorcery Points its should cost. 1 per spell seems low and 1/spell level/spell seems high. (I'm thinking 2 would be enough).

What are your thoughts?

Thanks in advance.
I would instead allow you to learn a spell as a different element rather than give it as a metamagic. You're not changing to any of the really advantageous types like Radiant or Force damage.
Fire is a common resistance, but its also a common vulnerability or special effect as well.

If you do keep it as a metamagic, would you choose one element that you can change spells to, or would this allow you to swap around damage types on the fly as much as you wanted?

If you can only change stuff to one element, I'd say no charge: you're already spending one of your metamagic slots on it.
Being able to chop and change damage types to match the vulnerabilities of what you're fighting is advantageous. I'd still probably only say 1pt however. If you change it off your draconic element, you'll be dealing less damage with it.

Ragmon

Explorer
I would instead allow you to learn a spell as a different element rather than give it as a metamagic. You're not changing to any of the really advantageous types like Radiant or Force damage.
Fire is a common resistance, but its also a common vulnerability or special effect as well.

If you do keep it as a metamagic, would you choose one element that you can change spells to, or would this allow you to swap around damage types on the fly as much as you wanted?

If you can only change stuff to one element, I'd say no charge: you're already spending one of your metamagic slots on it.
Being able to chop and change damage types to match the vulnerabilities of what you're fighting is advantageous. I'd still probably only say 1pt however. If you change it off your draconic element, you'll be dealing less damage with it.

Yea I was thinking, changing the type when casting the spell (while using this Metamagic).

Remove ads