Homebrew Ranger Fighting Style - Favoured Foe

Mort

Legend
Supporter
The gloomstalker ranger (Xanathar's guide) is pretty potent.

As for the question at hand - this style seems very campaign dependent, if the bonus comes up a lot it'll be fine, if not it'll be well behind the curve.

Since it's your campaign, this shouldn't be a big issue.

Mort

Legend
Supporter
Make hunters mark scale like a cantrip! hum that will be too much!

Yeah, since hunter's mark applies to every attack - that could get ridiculous. With a gloomstalker (or god forbid a gloomstalker/assasin multiclass) it would be downright offensive!

Finally your idea is not so bad for an increase damage.
Link it to a magic item. It is the more safe way to make gift to players.

Not necessarily a bad idea, though this would allow the character to benefit from 2 fighting styles at once - and that,too, may be a bit much.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
I personally wouldn't allow it in my game. I hate how much of the ranger's stuff is dependant on the campaign. Like, half their class features stop working without the right terrain and enemy to fight and they don't need more of that.

So far in our games just a +2 damage against Favored Enemies has worked well enough, so I doubt our DM would use it either. But, it isn't so OP that it would unbalance the game if someone wanted to use it IMO.

Eubani

Legend
I would simplify and strengthen the Ranger at level 1 by 1. Removing Favoured enemy and replace it with Gain prof in Survival and Nature. If already prof. double prof. 2. Remove terrain requirements from Natural Explorer. 3. Ignore 1 factor causing disadvantage when tracking and the first save when force marching for group. I think these 3 things will be useful but not overpowering. I also liked the Fighting Style Mike came up with for Rangers on the Happy Hour Twitch show.

Other changes I look at are removing Hunters Mark from spell list and making it a twice per long rest ability that lasts longer as you increase in levels and Make commanding beast a bonus action. Lets face it Hunters Mark is a class ability pretending to be a spell.

Remove ads