Homebrew swordsman class

Byrons_Ghost

First Post
Talk of the swashbuckler in TCW reminded me that I never finalized the swordsman class I'd been working on a while back. So, I decided to put it up here for review. It's just another take on a lightly-armored fighter, focusing on blades, etc etc.

The main basis was the spear-fighter from Wheel of Time (the class with the long foreign-sounding name that I can never remember), with a little bit of the rogue thrown in.

The Swordsman

HD: d8

Class Skills: Balance, Bluff, Climb, Craft, Intimidate, Jump, Sense Motive, Spot, Tumble.

Skill Points at First Level: (4 + Int modifier) x 4

Skill pointer at each additional level: 4 + Int modifier

Weapons and Armor: A swordsman is proficient with all simple weapons, with the short sword, longsword, light sabre (dam 1d6 slash, 4 lbs, crit 19-20/x2, finessable- this weapon was originally made due to a player's request) and rapier, and with light armor and bucklers. Many of them prefer to wear simple leather armor in order to avoid the Armor Check Penalty to certain skills.

BAB: as fighter
Good saves: Fort and Ref

Class abilities:
1- Fast Movement, Partial Improved Initiative
2- Bonus feat
3- Weapon Finesse with any finessable class weapon
4- Evasion
5- Bonus feat
6- Superior Finesse
7- Uncanny Dodge
8- Bonus feat
11- Bonus feat
13- Improved Uncanny Dodge
14- Bonus feat
17- Bonus feat
20- Bonus feat

AC Bonus: The swordsman gains a dodge bonus to his armor class when fighting in light or no armor, as shown on the table above. This ability will not stack with the armor class bonus granted by the Dodge feat; however, the use of this ability acts as a virtual Dodge feat, allowing the swordsman to access higher feats such as Mobility. The swordsman looses this dodge bonus whenever he is denied his Dex bonus to AC.

This bonus starts at +1 at 1st level and increases to +2 at 6th level, +3 at 11th level, and +4 at 16th level.

Fast Movement: The swordsman moves 10 feet faster than an average member of his race.

Partial Improved Initiative: When wearing no or light armor, the swordsman fights as if he had the Improved Initiative feat.

Weapon Finesse: The swordsman gains this feat for free with the his choice of the short sword, light sabre, or rapier.

Superior Finesse: When calculating damage for any weapon with which you have the Weapon Finesse feat, you may opt to use your Dex bonus instead of your Str bonus to add to the damage roll.

Bonus Feat: Bonus feats must be taken from the following: Acrobatic, Combat Expertise (Improved Disarm, Improved Feint, Improved Trip, Whirlwind Attack), Combat Reflexes, Defensive Strike, Deflect Arrows (special: swordsmen are not required to take Improved Unarmed Strike first, but must use a bladed weapon for this feat), Dodge (Mobility, Spring Attack), Expert Tactician, Improved Critical, Off-Hand Parry, Quick Draw, Superior Expertise, Two-Weapon Fighting (Improved Two-Weapon Fighting, Greater Two Weapon Fighting, Two-Weapon Defense), Weapon Finesse, Weapon Focus (Greater Weapon Focus).

Evasion & Uncanny Dodge: These are exactly the same as the rogue abilities.

----------------------------------------

That's it. Any comments/criticisms welcome. I'd especially be interested in how it compares to other swashbuckler or duelist type classes, if anyone has access to them.

Ackem

First Post
Looks mainly good. It's far better then a plain ol' Fighter though. Which is more a flaw with the Fighter then this Swordsman.

I'm a little concerned with Superior Finesse though. It's a bit too good to be true. By "a bit" I mean far too much. You essentially kill off the entire Strength stat and overpower Dexterity. Add a precision based damage bonus, or something, instead because Superior Finesse is far far too good.

If I had the option to play this class and wanted to be a powergaming bastard, I would definately take upto level 6 of this class whenever I was building a Rogue or Fighter. Christ, I can't think of any non-spellcaster where I wouldn't cherrypick upto level 6 in order to get Superior Finesse and all those tasty Bonus and Virtual Feats.

You should also add a benefit to staying with the class til Level 20. The class sortof tails off after Level 8. I can't think of a reason not to multi-class out shortly after that level.

Last edited:

ThoughtBubble

First Post
If I played in a game where one of these was available, you'd have a hard time getting me to play anything else. All it needs is diplomacy and I'd never need to think about taking another class ever again.

What's the disadvantage of taking this instead of fighter? I'm not being sarcastic at all, I'd just like to see what I'm missing.

Remove ads