• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Homebrew vs. Premade Campaign Worlds

Rune

Once A Fool
I usually have enough really cool concepts that I do homebrews.

But...there are some published settings that I love so much.

So what am I going to do?

This summer, I'm going to combine my favorite setting (Kalamar) with my own homebrew template.

Kingdoms of Kalamar in The Dream. It should be a good mix of verisimilitude and surrealism mixed together into a big potion of gaming happiness.

The Dream, by the way, is the same Dream as that featured in the story hour in my sig, but it is certainly not going to be the same campaign. Kalamar, not OA!

Psion

Adventurer
bwgwl said:
my last campaign world was designed "back-to-front" -- i designed the world first and then later worked on the campaign material. it ended up feeling like any old generic fantasy setting, because i hadn't put a lot of thought into themes or what specific elements i would need to run a specific campaign.

i'm hoping to fix that with the world i'm currently working on. i made sure i had a very clear idea of what i wanted in this world -- what themes, what specific elements, what types of campaigns and adventures, and ruthlessly (and somewhat regretfully) cut everything that didn't fit. the result is a much "tighter" design that doesn't feel so generic and is much better suited for the types of campaigns i like to run.

I'd be interested to hear what kind of elements you are talking about and how you worked them into the world.

Psion

Adventurer
SHARK said:
Of Forgotten Realms, well, to be honest, I ran several campaigns back in the day when Forgotten Realms was just a single dark grey box, with some maps, and two campaign booklets. Yes, it was a long time ago, in a galaxy far far away.:) But, *in those days*, I think many will agree with me, Forgotten Realms was special. It had *snap*, and *mystery* TSR really screwed that special feel up, and it really has never returned.

I really think FR is better now than it has ever been, with lots of mystery and most of the egregious "novel backwash" in the past.

It still focusses to much on NPCs, though.

Buttercup

Princess of Florin
I'm another one that loves worldbuilding as much as gaming. However, time certainly is a constraint. So my present campaign world has elements from several published settings. I've just decided to drop Bluffside into it, and I have several towns that I got from Kalamar adventures, as well as some places of my own devising.

And sometimes, one of the other posters here will drop a name or a phrase into a post that sparks my imagination. Really, my world would be quite boring if not for all the ideas I get from reading threads like this one.

Well, I'm lucky. I'm playing right now, not DMing, so I can concentrate on my world-building in a nice leisurely fashion. However, if that ever changes, I don't have enough stuff thrown up in a readable format to give to my players to help them get through stuff. I'm really going all out on my next campaign, though: I'm modifiying all the races and classes to get the feel and theme I want.

shouit

Explorer
Thanks for all the replies

Thanks guys. I am getting some good ideas from what you all have said. I have decided to go with Scarred Lands, since the campaign starts in three weeks and with all the time constraints I have had on my time. Off to see Star Wars. Later.

ConcreteBuddha

First Post
Setanta said:

I think ME has more flexibility than you give it credit for.

I liken making a world as to writing a novel. Premade worlds are like writing a novel that fills in a space in the Star Wars universe. Homebrew worlds are like writing a stand alone novel.

Using this analogy, homebrew worlds are more flexible than premade worlds. Not to say that premade worlds aren't flexible, just that you can't do things as a DM that would detract from the "feel" of the world. If I decided that Morgoth broke free of his chains during the Third Age, rampaged across the land, and squashed Hobbiton, the integrity of the campaign would be breached.

Not to say that ME or any other world is not a good way to play, I just like having this sort of freedom.

Playing in Middle Earth saved me the trouble of working up a pantheon and ancient history and such, and defined a flavour.

These things are the most fun for me to make up. Go figure.

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Re: Thanks for all the replies

shouit said:
Thanks guys. I am getting some good ideas from what you all have said. I have decided to go with Scarred Lands, since the campaign starts in three weeks and with all the time constraints I have had on my time. Off to see Star Wars. Later.

If you have any SL questions shouit, you know where to find. :)

bwgwl

First Post
Psion said:
I'd be interested to hear what kind of elements you are talking about and how you worked them into the world.

well firstly, when i world-build i tend to base cultures and regions off of specific examples from our world, rather than building them up from whole cloth. i find it saves me some time, and it helps the players if i can say things like: "the Subayic people -- think Bedouin nomads from the Arabian Desert," or "the Lasceans are like the Classical Greeks."

for this world, i zeroed in on the part of the world i wanted to emulate -- from the eastern mediterranean to india, and from the central asian steppe to east africa. the cultures i'm using are Greeks, Phoenicians, Arabs, Egyptians, Ethiopians, Swahili, Turks, Persians, Indians, and a few other minor ones stuck here and there.

i set my sights on what style of fantasy i wanted to do: my ultimate inspirations for this campaign world are the three "Sinbad" movies by Ray Harryhausen, Harryhausen's "Jason & the Argonauts," and the original 1001 Arabian Nights.

so i wanted to have a strong monotheistic religion like Islam, but still a little wiggle room for other gods for the parts of the world that haven't converted to it yet. i finally settled on 3 gods, 2 brothers and a sister. the brothers are Lawful Neutral and Chaotic Evil respectively, and the sister is Neutral Good. Azayl, the Lawful Neutral god is the one the Islam-like religion worships. Unamash, his Chaotic Evil brother, is seen as the enemy. Intar, the sister, often tries to arbitrate and make peace between her brothers, without much success.

i specifically made Azayl LN instead of LG so that he could have evil followers. this allows me to have internecine struggles between different factions of the same religion (LG vs LE). this is important. since such a large portion of the world all worships the same god, i needed some way of generating strife between nations that follow the same religion. having different factions within that religion was the answer. this also allows the same religion to host both paladins and LE assassins!

genies (djinn) are a very important part of the world. not only did they once control empires in the world that have left ruins to explore, but they are often summoned by wizards for magical power. they complete the trinity of extraplanar beings -- angels, fiends, and the djinn.

there are a few non-human races in the world, even though there aren't any in the source material, as at least a nod to standard D&D. humans, slightly-altered dwarves, and much-altered goblinoids are the only "civilized" races.

to increase variation, though, i decided the world has a fairly high percentage of aasimars, tieflings, and genasi due to the meddling of extraplanar beings. one dwarf kingdom is almost 50% aasimar, there are a few places where genasi form a significant minority (and are often the noble caste), and the large evil Egyptian empire's pharoah and nobility are mostly tieflings and half-fiends.

the world has settled down a bit from its chaotic past, but there are plenty of ruins of powerful, magical ancient empires lying around for the PCs to explore.

out in the deep ocean away from the continents, islands have a habit of moving around, even appearing and disappearing at random. it's impossible to map. these islands hold secret treasures and weird monsters, and are probably due to the gods' tinkering. this gives me the ability to run "voyages of Sinbad" type adventures without having to worry about forevermore pinning down the location of the island the PCs discover. the island might not even be there if they try to return to the same location!

i made a few changes to existing character classes to fit them into the world better. mostly adding a few new class skills here and there.

bards are now called rawis, and their abilities are based more on storytelling and extemporaneous speeches than music, since Islam tends to frown on music. so most of the bardic abilities are now language-dependent.

paladins are ghazis, the holy warriors of Azayl. since they worship a LN god, they are allowed to choose to detect and smite chaos instead of evil if they so desire.

the world is still very much a work in progress, so there's a lot of other little changes that i'm working on. it's very different from standard D&D, but it's the world i wanted to make, as near as i am able.

i've got some more information about this world in this thread:

http://www.enworld.org/messageboards/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12800

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads