D&D 5E Hope for an open GSL?

Nellisir

Hero
... it shows a rather cynical or perhaps naive understanding of the OGL among those working on the new edition.

I think Mearls is the last person I'd accuse of being naive about the OGL, so I'd assume either a) he has information about it & WotC that we don't have, or b) the lawyers say so. Doesn't surprise me, though.

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
I think Mearls is the last person I'd accuse of being naive about the OGL, so I'd assume either a) he has information about it & WotC that we don't have, or b) the lawyers say so. Doesn't surprise me, though.

It could be simply a matter of the legal not allowing it to be used. It could also be a management decision to build 5E and not use the OGL but also not to discuss that they aren't using it until 5E's release for whatever reason. Mearls has only proven he *can* create OGC, not that he wants to or thinks it is a good idea for WotC to use the OGL. I don't recall if he ever dealt with the OGL as a publisher either. I wonder if there are any links to anywhere online where he has discussed the OGL in any detail as a publishing tool?

Nellisir

Hero
It could be simply a matter of the legal not allowing it to be used.
Right, option b.

It could also be a management decision to build 5E and not use the OGL but also not to discuss that they aren't using it until 5E's release for whatever reason. Mearls has only proven he *can* create OGC, not that he wants to or thinks it is a good idea for WotC to use the OGL. I don't recall if he ever dealt with the OGL as a publisher either. I wonder if there are any links to anywhere online where he has discussed the OGL in any detail as a publishing tool?

I only met Mearls once; I forget the exact circumstances, but it was at the house of a friend of his, a few months before he went to work with Monte Cook, and he DMed a game of Arcana Unearthed. I have absolutely no idea how I managed to latch onto that group (Mike & his friends & me) but it was a real blast to finally hang out with people who understood the term OGL & etc. It was a topic of conversation, and Mike was pretty positive about it.

However, there may be information inside WotC that has changed his opinion regarding D&D & the OGL, thus option a.

Nellisir

Hero
Nice to hear a firsthand account from a casual situation. Thanks! :)

What I particularly remember was Mike critiquing the warforged. I wasn't too surprised to see the ironborn show up in the Book of Iron Might, which I think was the first product he did for Monte at Malhavoc.

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
What I particularly remember was Mike critiquing the warforged. I wasn't too surprised to see the ironborn show up in the Book of Iron Might, which I think was the first product he did for Monte at Malhavoc.

His interest in downplaying the need for magic as a leveling requirement/supplement was a good plan (Iron Heroes?). Still, I wonder if 4E went against some of his earlier inclinations, IIRC.

Remove ads