D&D 5E Hope for an open GSL?

Nellisir

Hero
Even though I distinctly remember it, after some searching I can't find it, so it's possible I'm mistaken. I'll keep looking for it. It was one of his earliest D&D Next articles, if I'm correct.
I wonder if you're thinking of this?
The Open Game License as I See It, Part I
and
The Open Game License as I See It, Part II

Not dated, but it looks like 2006, sometime. The comments about a possible 4th edition are certainly prescient.
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]And even if Wizards took away the d20 license and didn't update the SRD, if 4th Edition still used hit points, Armor Class, six ability scores 3-18, and so on, it would be easy enough to create material under the existing OGL pretty compatible with 4th Edition. Arguably, to make the game airtight-closed, Wizards would have to change it so radically that it wouldn't even be D&D anymore.*

I stand by my opinion, however, that his use of the OGL on his own products was not in keeping with his rhetoric in this article.
[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
So still nothing on the license right?

They seem well beyond the point where they can use OGC to strongly influence the development of 5E, so I guess it just remains to be seen whether they will utilize the OGL as a marketing tool once the game gets released. It's a shame, really, because it shows a rather cynical or perhaps naive understanding of the OGL among those working on the new edition.

Remove ads