• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Hopefully, someone can find a rule that makes this not work.

boolean

Explorer
You seem to be misinterpreting how the Shadow Illusion ability of the Shadowcraft Mage PrC works.

Yes, it allows the caster to alter a persistent image spell, for example, from a figment into a semi-real shadow effect.

But you can only use this ability to reproduce specific spell effects.

A shadowcraft mage can use the altered spell to mimic any sorceror or wizard conjuration (summoning), conjuration (creation), or evocation spell at least one level lower than the illusion spell. The altered spell functions identically to the shadow conjuration or shadow evocation spell, except that the spell's strength equals 10% per level of the figment spell used.

Li Shenron

Legend
Joeluma said:
oh, and yes, its an illusion breaking an illusionary staff.

This is IMHO enough to say that the Programmed Image's Staff of the Magi will cause NO damage at all.

The foe will see the image coming close to him, breaking a staff and explode. It might give the illusion of heat (but the damage by the staff is not fire damage, nowhere it says it must be hot), but no damage whatsoever.

A foe failing his Will save will believe that a real mage charged him and snapped his staff, then exploded with no harm done. By the way, I seriously doubt that most of the foes can recognize that the staff in the image is a Staff of the Magi... how many have seen an artifact?

Finally, even if you have a PrCl that turns harmless illusions such as Programmed Image into harmful illusions (shadow type), you cannot just let it reproduce any effect you want: you cannot make an illusion of an epic +10 vorpal keen greatsword, IMO you can probably only make the illusion of a sword, at best choosing the appearance of it. Much less you can reproduce an artifact!

edit: now that I think about it, if you allow the shadow illusion of a Staff of the Magi, you might better cast the illusion of a deity then let it do a better job

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Just a thought - could Joeluma be mixing up programmed image with projected image - the illusion of yourself which makes spells emanate from your image rather than from your current position?

Wouldn't help with the retributive strike of course, since it isn't a spell.

werk

First Post
TheGogmagog said:
I would also doubt anyone observing your antic would have any clue what the staff was or what you were doing to it.

That's my point too. Who knows what a staff of the magi even is, let alone the effects of breaking one other than high-level mages? Less metagame, more game.

Edit: Sorry for beating a dead horse, posted before I finished the thread.

Tzarevitch

First Post
TheGogmagog said:
I don't quite get it either. If it does something cool in your campaign, try putting an illusionary bag of holding into an illusionary portable hole.

I would also doubt anyone observing your antic would have any clue what the staff was or what you were doing to it.

The effect wouldnt be any more than an illusionary fireball, or Meteor swarm, or Hellball spellseed.... nothing. Check up on Figments. p173 of PH. They do no damage. (took me too long, had to look it up to be sure)

I agree. I am not sure why seeing someone break an ornate stick (even if if real) would cause an enemy to do anything except wonder why in the world that guy is breaking his stick.

I do like your line about the illusionary bag of holding though. That was pretty funny.

Tzarevitch

calypso15

Explorer
I have a solution: If you're making an image of yourself and infusing it with shadow to make it partially real, then you (the caster) really have a chance of being blasted to another dimension/destroyed. ;)

Calypso

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads