D&D 5E Horde of the Dragon Queen minis list

Clint_L

Hero
It is interesting. I've been wondering what percentage of "die hard" D&D players have access to one and use it.
3d printers are definitely becoming more of a thing for miniatures collectors. The plastic printers aren't high enough fidelity yet but the resin ones are pretty good. You have to be a bit more cautious with resin miniatures, though.

That said, you can acquire the right miniatures for the vast majority of your adventure needs just through Reaper and Wizkids, not to mention all the other suppliers in the field these days. It is truly a golden age for miniature collectors!

Thinking about this more, I’ve realised I’ve actually swung very hard in favour of 3D minis now, to the point that I’m much less likely to buy a physical mini unless it offers something unique compared to a 3D printed mini. The other exception would be really large minis or terrain, which is often better to have in hard plastic (and I don’t have a FDM printer, only a resin one).

pogre

Legend
Some folks over on Minisgallery have been working on this, including links to pre-painted miniatures for each creature/NPC:

Yeah, @Cusm mentioned that upthread. These are nice lists even for snobs like me that do not use pre-painted.
Thinking about this more, I’ve realised I’ve actually swung very hard in favour of 3D minis now, to the point that I’m much less likely to buy a physical mini unless it offers something unique compared to a 3D printed mini. The other exception would be really large minis or terrain, which is often better to have in hard plastic (and I don’t have a FDM printer, only a resin one).
How are your resin miniatures holding up to play?

The ones I have seem a lot more fragile than Bones or GW plastic. I mean a lot more fragile. Do you have a resin that works particularly well for durability?

Yeah, @Cusm mentioned that upthread. These are nice lists even for snobs like me that do not use pre-painted.

How are your resin miniatures holding up to play?

The ones I have seem a lot more fragile than Bones or GW plastic. I mean a lot more fragile. Do you have a resin that works particularly well for durability?
They’re definitely more fragile than Bones and GW plastic. How much more fragile, I’m not sure. I do use 20% Siraya Tech Tenacious in my prints, which improves their flexibility and durability, but I still wouldn’t be confident that the mini would survive a drop.

Clint_L

Hero
You can repaint them - that's what I do. A lot of those PPM are really, really cheap on the secondary market, especially some of the uncommon huge and large ones. You can get many of the giants for a few bucks each and they are the same miniatures as Nolzur's unpainted. A shot of primer and you are good to go. And there are a lot of miniatures that are really hard or impossible to find unpainted, like the Atropal.

I think the painting is awful on those Wizkids PPM but have repainted tons of them as it was the only way to fill in holes in my collection, and they turn out well. This is a repaint, for example:

Zombie T-Rex.jpg

Remove ads