• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Horseshoe crab stats ?

Rel

Liquid Awesome
No offense but the horseshoe crab is one of the most peaceful and helpless creatures on the planet. I have no idea how I'd stat one up or why I'd need to.

Pbartender

First Post
(why) is going to be food for the PC.

So, instead making them fight their food, why not just let them make the Survival check and say, "Seeing as they're rather slow and fairly dull-witted, you manage to catch a horseshoe crab by walking up to one and picking it up... Yum?"

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3h7NJzbHAKA[/ame]

Last edited:

Aeolius

Adventurer
"Seeing as they're rather slow and fairly dull-witted, you manage to catch a horseshoe crab by walking up to one and picking it up... Yum."

But then it cries for help... with disastrous results.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a62u583mRAU]YouTube - Horseshoe Crab Spawn Beach INVASION and passionate animal Love making & mating swarm[/ame]

frankthedm

First Post
Indeed, finding unstatted edible animals is covered under:

Survival
DC 10 ~ Get along in the wild. Move up to one-half your overland speed while hunting and foraging (no food or water supplies needed). You can provide food and water for one other person for every 2 points by which your check result exceeds 10.

JediSoth

Voice Over Artist & Author
There aren't that many edible parts on a horseshoe crab (which is really not a crab, but more closely related to scorpions, fleas, and ticks). The roe is about all that's edible, but even that's not recommended. In fact, a variety that lives off of Thailand often contains toxic amounts of Tetrodotoxin in its roe.

They're NOT good eats. Better than starving, I suppose, assuming you get a non-toxic one.

Aeolius

Adventurer
They're NOT good eats. Better than starving, I suppose, assuming you get a non-toxic one.

There's plenty to eat, in a prehistoric sea, assuming you have a big enough hook:
post-319639-1111811948.jpg

though I prefer calamari, myself:
Ammonites.jpg

Huw

First Post
An old issue of Dragon did a Giant Horseshoe Crab. Can't remember the issue, but it was one of the creature catalogues.

Anyway, the only way they could make it a threat was by giving it the ability to chuck lightning bolts :confused:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads