D&D General "Hot Take": Fear is a bad motivator

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
No. I remove hard-loss — you can't lose my game.

Your character, on the other hand, will lose a ton of stuff, important and personal. They will lose their heirloom sword, the vessel of their ancestors' spirits. They will lose their grimmoir, their Magnum Opus, all the research and breakthroughs they made to understand the greater laws of magic. They will lose their families, their sons and their lovers.

Oh God will they lose. The cruel world will chew them and spit them out, forever changed, and more often than not, changed to the worse.
You can do your worst, though, and I'm still going to win.
I don't see anything wrong with participation medals — the real medals are the friends we made along the way or something.
They're an illusion of competence that can mislead those who receive them into thinking that they are better at something than they are.
I'm not particularly interested in testing, whether the players can beat the game, and as a player, I can't say that I feel any importance in the fact that my character has survived the Tomb of Horrors.

What I am interested in is seeing how characters would react to hardships, how would they change and develop.
That all applies to games with PC death in them, though. A game with PC death in it doesn't have to focus on beating the game. And you can still see how characters would react to hardships and how they would develop. You'll get a more accurate reading, actually, since the fear of death will alter how a PC approaches a situation, and a player who doesn't fear PC death will rarely roleplay that as well as he would if he knows that he can lose his character.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Well, Monopoly is rank 20,535 out of 20,542 ranked games on BoardGameGeek, so calling that a paragon of good design doesn't seem like a strong argument. It's better than The Game of Life (rank 20,536), so I guess it's not the worst.

But I'll abstain on Diplomacy. I've never played it and it's ranked 614 (top 3% of all games), so either the mechanic is used well or the game's so good one flaw isn't worth mentioning.

(Although the most recent review I could find notes that "You need 7 players who are simultaneously ruthless and congenial, are willing to sacrifice half a day and are okay with practically guaranteed player elimination." Not an endorsement of the mechanic.)

Monopoly is the best selling board game of all time.

HJFudge

Explorer
My 2 cents here:

If there is no loss state, then there is no way to 'win'. In tabletop games I play, it is very possible to lose the campaign. The two hard loss states I have usually are TPK and severe failure to stop the bad-guy. I inform everyone of this during session 0. Everyone knows its possible to lose. We have had campaign losses before. I'd say about 1/3rd of the campaigns Ive played or ran have ended due to a Loss State. Note: We don't stop playing, we just start a new campaign. We as players do not lose out on game night or game time! Someone almost always has a campaign idea waiting in the wings to be tried out :)

I do not enjoy games where it is impossible to lose. Where whilst I may face minor setbacks or obstacles or loss, if I cannot truly LOSE the game then my choices feel empty. After all, any choice at all leads to an eventual victory in some form or another.

That said, this fear of losing is NOT what motivates me when I play or my players. Fear of loss might be in there for the characters, as in they fear being unable to save the world, losing their loved ones, whatever...but there are plenty of other motivators throughout the game that drive the party. These usually involve greed of one form or another. Getting that next level, or that next power, or that next item. Often it is also revenge for previous losses incurred that motivate the player. That long time NPC who burnt down our parties castle...we're gonna make him pay!

But again, if a game cannot be lost, I see no point in playing. If I wanted that, theres a book right there I can just read it. The end is known from the beginning and no decisions are of actual consequence except for one: The decision to just not play. There can be no triumph without real risk of losing the game.

For me, anyway.

EDIT: To be very clear, losing items, losing levels, losing prestige, losing abilities...these are all not true losses since they can be gained back simply by playing more. Nothing is LOST, they are only temporarily gone without. Only with a real negative end-state to the campaign and a risk of that negative end-state being reached is there actual LOSS in any sense for the PCs.

Last edited:

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
I do not enjoy games where it is impossible to lose. Where whilst I may face minor setbacks or obstacles or loss, if I cannot truly LOSE the game then my choices feel empty. After all, any choice at all leads to an eventual victory in some form or another.
Alright. Let's pick this apart some, then.

Is death the only form of loss you would consider permanent?

I argue that there are other forms of loss, and threat, with permanent effects, that while they might be interpretable as being focused on fear, any fear involved is a side, a byproduct. I've given various examples, but here's some in brief form:
Beloved NPC is hurt, killed, or corrupted
Personal goal becomes impossible (e.g. "become a professor at Strixhaven" is nixed if Strixhaven is destroyed)
Sophie's Choice (e.g. "if I save my mother, my nemesis will destroy the only evidence of his crimes")
What You Are in the Dark scenario (you could kill the rightful heir and become king...but can you live with the guilt?)
Agonizing over what to do (from the game I run: "Do I take an evil power to help someone I love, or have them keep it to avoid temptation?")
Imminent danger that may come to pass for others (e.g. a plague strikes your home city, if you succeed it's cured, if you fail many will die)
Tragic/painful sacrifice (your initial attack failed...but if you break the staff of power you worked SO hard to get, you might kill the BBEG)

None of these require that the character die, and they aren't really about fear, but rather about deciding what you value most, about deciding where your affections lie, or about seeing the things you're enthusiastic for suffer. In many cases, there's little or nothing that can be done to reverse the damage; you might rebuild from it, but whatever you build will be a new thing taking the old thing's place, not a sweet and simple resurrection of the old. Even if you redeem your beloved NPC friend, they'll never be quite the same, and they'll have to regain the trust of others. Even if you do manage to find a cure for the plague a year later, there's no way you can resurrect all of its victims, and the proverbial scars it will leave on the people and the land will linger for generations. If you fought hard to earn the crown, having to abdicate in order to save the people of your country from war could be a horribly devastating loss, even though all it does is remove a title from your name.

These, to my mind, are much more interesting losses than "your character dies." Obviously, that won't apply to everyone. But I have definitely seen, here and elsewhere, a trend toward saying that the ONLY loss that ever truly matters is character death, and everything else is unimportant. There's even a degree to which your own post can be read that way!

HJFudge

Explorer
To put simply: no death is not the only form of permanent loss. As I mentioned in my previous post, a negative campaign end state also represents a permanent loss and this does not have to equal the characters die. The characters can fail in such a way that for the campaign and there quest there is no recovery.

An actual play example. The heroes caught wind of the big bads plan to steal a powerful artifact. So they went to stop his forces. No one died but they did not end up getting to the place in time. They failed and the plot moved forward. A couple adventures later they found out the big bad was going to use that artifact to create the world engine, a horrific device that would put the world under a cloud of darkness and allow him to raise the dead as his slaves. The characters attempted to stop this creation but ended up choosing to abandon the task when word their home kingdom was under attack. They reasoned they'd stop it before it was activated. No one died but that quest failed.

They stopped the invasion of their home kingdom and then went back to stop the big bad from deploying the world engine. A couple died this time, a series of tough battles leading to a climactic duel with the big bad. They had x rounds to somehow stop the big bad from activating the world engine. They failed.

Thus was the world covered in darkness. The heroes were dead or captured and the land suffered for an age.

Campaign loss. But a gripping tale. Death happened but the loss was not due to that but the repeated failures to stop the big bads plans. If they had chosen differently at several points they would have had different outcomes and may have stopped the evil at several points but alas.

In this example it was the choices made that led to loss, ultimately. Later we had a follow on campaign in that same world called "from the ashes" with different characters set in the future, mankind was on the edge of extinction and this party's quest was to find a mythical portal to a new world, one free of darkness.

loverdrive

Prophet of the profane (She/Her)
In Diplomacy if you're knocked out of the game as any country (which is the purpose), you are out. Same in Monopoly, the Game of Life, etc. If people want a narrative fiction-building approach without challenges and uncertainty or, gosh, even death for daring to be an "Adventurer" (Poor Magellan, he should have been a surveyor of estates rather than of the Earth) even when the current rules are favorable to their constant gain and guardianship, then what's the worth or reason in even referring to it as a "game"? Why go through theatrics of the mind when all the results are the same positive outcomes? Who's fooling who in this scenario? I find this whole topic, forgive me, rather bizarre from not only a designer's view but from a reality based reasoning. Is an RPG a game or not? If so there are winners and losers, monsters die by the thousands under your immersed PC's spells and melee. But it's still a game and thus you are still a target for those who you haven't killed, and the DM is the fair arbiter in this bi-lateral exchange of who, what, where, when, why and how. "Yo Goliath! Meet David's Stone!"
Defining a game as "having winners and losers" sounds like super weird. By that definition, most videogames ain't games, as you can't lose. Dwarf Fortress, then, is also not a game, because you can't win.

That all applies to games with PC death in them, though. A game with PC death in it doesn't have to focus on beating the game. And you can still see how characters would react to hardships and how they would develop. You'll get a more accurate reading, actually, since the fear of death will alter how a PC approaches a situation, and a player who doesn't fear PC death will rarely roleplay that as well as he would if he knows that he can lose his character.
I doubt that I'd get a more accurate reading, since being afraid for one's life and being afraid for a fictional character aren't exactly comparable things.

And the thing is, I don't want players feel like they're risking anything. After all, why the hell a player should be afraid of losing their character, if the player and the character are on the opposite sides of the barricades?

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I doubt that I'd get a more accurate reading, since being afraid for one's life and being afraid for a fictional character aren't exactly comparable things.
It wouldn't mirror real life, but it would be more accurate than without it as a possibility.
And the thing is, I don't want players feel like they're risking anything. After all, why the hell a player should be afraid of losing their character, if the player and the character are on the opposite sides of the barricades?
Afraid is the wrong word for a lot of us. Feel like I'm taking a risk with my PC's life sometimes? Yes. Afraid of losing the character? No. Losing a character sucks, but playing without that risk would suck more for me.

Defining a game as "having winners and losers" sounds like super weird. By that definition, most videogames ain't games, as you can't lose. Dwarf Fortress, then, is also not a game, because you can't win.
OT a bit, but I am not consigning games to the dustbin of history due to some social experiment. This is what (below), in part, is eradicated through the objection of win-lose, contest,competition; and with it goes critical thinking, social and scientific leaps (Game Theory, Play Theory, Economic Theory. et al) progress and learning advantage advances through these that are noted as fact, not feelings. I embrace the past that forwarded us to the present It is part and parcel of over 2,000 years of human endeavor in this area and I will not toss it to a ditch, and its thousands of examples and billions of adherents and designers. Good day.

CARD GANES

Game NamePlayersDeck Used
1000 Blank White Cards3+Unique
3-5-8352
5002-633-63
662-420-24

A[edit | edit source]

All Fours2-852
All Fives2-352
Agram2-731-35
Apples to Apples4-10Unique

B[edit | edit source]

Baccarat2+6-8 x 52
Barbu
Bartok
Blackjack
Bezique
Bourre
Briscola

C[edit | edit source]

D[edit | edit source]

E[edit | edit source]

F[edit | edit source]

G[edit | edit source]

H[edit | edit source]

I[edit | edit source]

J[edit | edit source]

K[edit | edit source]

L[edit | edit source]

M[edit | edit source]

N[edit | edit source]

• Napoleon (or Nap) – trick-taking game with auction, based on whist, variable number of players
  • Nertz
  • Nines – three-handed whist variant

O[edit | edit source]

P[edit | edit source]

Q[edit | edit source]

R[edit | edit source]

S[edit | edit source]

Samba (4 to 6 players)

T[edit | edit source]

U[edit | edit source]

V[edit | edit source]

W[edit | edit source]

X[edit | edit source]

Y[edit | edit source]

Z[edit | edit source]

Žandari

MINIATURE WARGAMES (and RPGs by extension)

Wargamers and designers[edit]

Little Wars, by H. G. Wells (1913).

• H.G. Wells – Known as the "Father of Miniature Wargaming" and author of the miniature wargaming classic Little Wars.[35]
  • Jack Scruby – The "Father of Modern Miniature Wargaming".[36] Popularized modern miniature wargaming and organized perhaps the first miniatures convention in 1956. Jack Scruby was also a manufacturer of military miniatures whose efforts led to a rebirth of the miniature wargaming hobby in the late 1950s.
  • Gary Gygax – Co-creator of Dungeons & Dragons and a number of miniature wargames.
  • Dave Arneson – Co-creator of Dungeons & Dragons
  • MAR Barker -Creator of Tekumel: Empire of the Petal Throne, professor, linguist, and author.
  • Peter Cushing -Actor, and star of films.
  • Duke Seifried – Sculptor of over 10,000 miniatures, one of the earliest American miniature manufacturers: Heritage, Custom Cast, Der Kreigspielers Napoleonic, and Fantastiques Fantasy Figures.
  • Bruce Rea Taylor - Designer of the Firefly, Challenger, Corps Commander andKorps Commander rules.
  • Charles Grant – Author and founder member of the UK wargaming scene in the 1960s. Helped popularize miniature wargaming.
  • Donald Featherstone – A respected military historian,[37] introduced to the hobby in 1955.[38] Since then, he was one of the most prolific authors on the subject, and very influential in the development of the hobby.
  • Fletcher Pratt – Science fiction writer (often in collaboration with L. Sprague de Camp) and originator of a popular set of rules for naval miniature wargaming.
  • Kevin Cabai-Armor Officer and wagamer- Kevin has used in many years in the Armor Branch to write a number of highly realistic and yet playable rules sets. His first Jagdpanzer- cover mechanized combat in World War II. The game was first seen at major conventions in 1985. It has been through a revised 2nd edition and is widely available. Sand Oil and Blood- was co-authored, with Marty Fenelon. It was the modern warfare version of tank combat. Already in the works to be published during Desert Shield, it was released 30 days after Desert Storm. Finally Mekong- A rule set covering Riverine Warfare in Viet Nam. Again co-authored with Marty Fenelon, it was picked up and sold by GHQ.
  • Terry Wise- Historian and writer- many Osprey publications to his credit along with the seminal "Introduction to Battlegaming" of 1969. Published rules for Ancients, Pike and Shot and American Civil wargaming that are fast, fun and easy to use.
  • Walter ("Wally") Simon – One of the original founders of the Historical Miniature Gaming Society. First President of HMGS and Organizer of the Potomac Wargamers, publisher of the PW Review.
  • Dick Bryant – Co-founder with Wally Simon of HMGS and editor since 1969 ofThe Courier Miniature Wargaming Magazine. His editorial in that magazine castigating GAMA for choosing cardboard counters as "The Best New Historical Miniature" started the search for an organization that supported and promulgated the hobby of Historical Miniature Wargaming that resulted in the "Meeting in Wally's Basement" that was the initialization of HMGS.
  • David Waxtel – Publisher of over 20 sets of rules, and supplement books.
  • George Gush – Noted for A Guide to Wargaming (1980) as well as the WRG Renaissance Rules
  • John Hill – Known for his classic Squad Leader and other Avalon Hill board games, also the author of the popular Johnny Reb miniatures rules.
  • Raymond ("Ray") James Jackson – Author of Classic Napoleonics, an "Old School" set of miniature wargame rules which have been in existence since 1961. Chairman and CEO of both HMGS-West and the War Gaming Society. A miniature wargamer since 1958.
  • Frank Chadwick – Author of the Command Decision and Volley & Bayonet rules,Space: 1889 and Traveller, and co-founder of Game Designers' Workshop.
  • Gene McCoy – Founder of the Wargamers Digest magazine and creator of theWargamers Digest WW2 Rules game framework.
  • Phil Barker – Founder of the Wargames Research Group, and inventor of the De Bellis Antiquitatis game series.
  • Arty Conliffe – Designer of Armati, Crossfire, Spearhead, Shako and Tacticarules.
  • Bob Jones – Founder of Piquet and designer of the Piquet wargame series.
  • Brigadier Peter Young, DSO, MC – Highly decorated World War II commandoleader, commander of the 9th Regiment of the Arab Legion, founder of the Sealed Knot English Civil War reenactment society, Reader of Military History atSandhurst, author of several books on military history, also author of Charge! Or How to Play Wargames and The War Game: Ten Great Battles Recreated from History.
  • Phil Dunn – Founder of the Naval Wargames Society and author of Sea Battle Games.
  • John McEwan – Creator of the first science fiction ground combat miniatures game Starguard! in 1974 along with over 200 figures and models for this game.
  • Tony Bath – Author and veteran wargamer, founding member of the Society of Ancients, best known as umpire of one of the longest running and well known of all wargames campaigns, set in the fictional land of Hyboria.
  • David Manley – Author of many sets of naval rules including Action Stations, Fire When Ready, Iron and Fire, Bulldogs Away, and Form Line of Battle, as well as numerous articles and technical papers on naval wargaming, history, and warship design.
  • Scott Mingus – founder of the international Johnny Reb Gaming Society and one of the world's most prolific authors of American Civil War scenario books.
  • Neville Dickinson – One of the original members of the UK wargaming scene and founder of Miniature Figurines, the first firm in the UK to popularize metal miniatures.
  • Larry Brom - designer of The Sword and The Flame, one of the most popular colonial era wargames.
  • Andy Chambers – Known for his work in rules design and revision for Games Workshop Inc. and Mongoose Publishing. Notable games he helped develop include Warhammer 40,000 and Starship Troopers: The Miniatures Game.
  • Bryan Ansell - Creator of Laserburn, Rules with No Name, co-creator/co-author of Warhammer, author Warhammer 40,000 and a host of other game credits. Associated primarily with Games Workshop and Citade Miniatures, also Asgard Miniatures
  • Rick Priestley – co-creator/co-author of Warhammer, author Warhammer 40,000 and a host of other game credits. Associated primarily with Games Workshop and Citadel but earlier work included co-authoring the seminal fantasy wargame rulebook Reaper.
  • Rusty Gronewold – Lead designer with Tactical Command Games, has developed many different miniature games, such as Stellar Fire, Legions Unleashed, Conflict 2000, Stellar Conflicts & Uprisings, Gunslingers & Desperados, Pirates & Buccaneers just to name a few.
  • Paddy Griffith - Military historian and founder of Wargame Developments, he devised and ran the first Megagames as well as many experimental wargames that were designed to give military historians a greater insight into how battles and campaigns were actually fought. Many of his wargames posed ethical and moral dilemmas for the players and challenged orthodox thinking.
  • Alessio Cavatore - Writer of many popular rulesets. Famous for his work with Games Workshop, Mantic and Warlord.
  • Lorenzo Giusti - One of the most popular Fantasy Football sculptors with over 800 figures and models for these kind of games, founder and owner of Greebo Games

Tile Based Games

Commercial games[edit]

Games using non-rectangular tiles[edit]

Board games[edit]

Sports Games

Vast Majority of contest oriented and//or competition sports AND their electronic counterparts (Like Madden Football, etc.)

Play (Traditional Activity Games) Vast Majority

Tag games[edit]

Hiding games[edit]

Games with equipment[edit]

Jumping games[edit]

Memory games[edit]

Parlour games[edit]

Hand games[edit]

Other traditional children's games[edit]

Mod Edit: Added the spoiler block, because that block of stuff was waaaay too long for whatever point is was making ~Umbran

Last edited by a moderator:

Remove ads