• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

House of Gryphon Hill-I10

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him) 🇺🇦🇵🇸🏳️‍⚧️
I think the term railroad gets used far too often. There are events in the module that will happen whether the PCs do things or not. I don't see that as a railroad.

Krieg

First Post
Add me to the list of negative nancy's. I10 did little for me and the idea of dream mixing it with I6 just seemed silly at the time.

iwatt

First Post
billd91 said:
I think the term railroad gets used far too often. There are events in the module that will happen whether the PCs do things or not. I don't see that as a railroad.

well, all I remember is that during the last battle scene we're been hit by many undead while uber-vamp start dominating us. Somehow we got through (2e fireball + 2e hps rocked :D ) thanks to the two evokers in the party. Then the uber-lich showed up. seemed like we weren't meant to be anything but spectators. we weren't killed, but got to watch how nothing we tried was effective. Kind a lame IMNSHO

All we were trying to do is destroy the freaking machine.

Don'tknow if it was railroading or not, but from our POV it seemed we weren't allowed to destroy the machine or kill the uber-undead. To be fair, we wern't playin Ravenloft and the DM had just ported this module into his homebrew.

By the way, this DM had a great track-record, and generally used his own adventures. This was the first time he used a module, and he said himself that he felt the story was too railroading.

Mark Hope

Adventurer
I have run I10 a couple of times and mostly enjoyed it. First time I ran it concurrently with I6, flipping back and forth between the two. Although atmospheric, this was also very confusing and tended to dilute the impact of both adventures. The second time I ran it, I used it as a direct sequel to I6. I played Strahd to the hilt in I6 and managed to pull off a TPK without any fudging. I then had the PCs awaken in the Sanatarium in Mordentshire as per the opening of I10 and proceeded with I10 more or less as written.

Played as a sequel, it was far more effective. The feelings of horror the players experienced upon encountering the normal version of Strahd were very effective and there was an overriding atmosphere of tense paranoia througout, especially when the body-swapping was uncovered.

I and my players found the ending somewhat contrived, however, so you might want to give the players some more freedom in that regard, but it worked overall and we were able to overlook the railroad aspects of the adventure in favour of the pretty compelling plot.

Stone Angel

First Post
The first time I played it I hated it, never had a worse couple of sessions, about four years ago a friend gave it to me as an xmas gift since he knew I liked ravenloft. I converted it to 3e when it came out and retooled afew things. I had a blast running and so did everyone else.

The Seraph of Earth and Stone

adwyn

Community Supporter
The first time I played in it Tracy Hickman ran a proto version when he was a guest of honor at a local con. Crammed into four hours it seemed contrived, but I liked the premise.

When the actual module came out I felt a little let down. As Diaglo said the creatures seemed to be too powerful in relation to the peasants. All in all it seemed like it belonged to a diffferent genre. That's why this summer I'm going to place it into an ongoing d20 Cthulu/pulp campaign.

R-Hero

Explorer
Thanks one and all for the input.

I personally loved the Ravenloft i6, but I found this one in the old DnD junk seemingly untouched and wondered after reading if it wasn't played because of the way it was written.

I kind of like the Jekyll/Hyde=Alchemist/Strahd part. The rest seems all over the road with the plot twists.

Ironicly, I already have a conversion for this one on an old file. I guess I picked it up when researching I6 or my I.T. computer guy/DM loaded it during the last computer maintenance.

Anyay, thanx again....

R-Hero

Explorer
Barendd Nobeard said:
I never played I10, but would like a conversion of it. Is your I6 conversion posted in the conversion library yet?

I have no idea on how to post to the library. Is there an easy step-by-step, handholding explanation for the computer-challenged?? :confused:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads