House of the Dragon spoiler thread

Stalker0

Legend
Im not sure I agree with the unworthy take on King Viserys. Nor the idea he made many mistakes. Perhaps sat on the fence at times he ought to have acted, but he never did anything rash, or terrible, or stupid. My take was more that Viserys was a good man, and thus the throne rejected him for that sin alone.

This is a common theme among GoT, what does it take to be a good king. Obviously you don't want to be a Tyrant, but you do need people to follow and obey you, and sometimes that requires a little bit of fear.

Viserys seems like a good man for the most part, but a good king? He's not a bad king, but you could argue his weakness has weakened his house and position over time.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Absolutely! What the throne considers to be unworthy might not be the same as what we would consider to be unworthy.

That being said, I view the whole “the throne rejects the unworthy” thing as a superstition. I don’t think there’s meant to be anything supernatural about the throne in actuality.
yeah its a Throne made of the swords of conquered enemies I'm sure being nice to kittens arent necessarily its idea of Worthiness

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
This is a common theme among GoT, what does it take to be a good king. Obviously you don't want to be a Tyrant, but you do need people to follow and obey you, and sometimes that requires a little bit of fear.

Viserys seems like a good man for the most part, but a good king? He's not a bad king, but you could argue his weakness has weakened his house and position over time.
IDK, he managed to stay out of wars of attrition and save face as long as he could. The cost was mitigated when he wed his daughter to win his ally back. I guess, sure, he never rode his dragons to battle and laid to waste hundreds of thousands of lives, but we saw how awful that was in GoT. I'd say Viserys was a pretty good king who maintained an era of relative peace. Beautifully noted in his scene with Lord Lyonel Strong his new hand. Every man dreams of fame and glory, only the foolish throw away everything in its pursuit.

Zardnaar

Legend
According to actor Paddy Considine, Viserys is suffering from leprosy.

Perhaps it’s just because he’s the king, but I’m surprised Westeros doesn’t isolate lepers from the rest of society like medieval Europeans did.

Jerusalem had a leper king.

Good episode. Sort of surprised they replaced basically 1 actress due to age
The man with the cane. Who is he related 2 and was he blackmailing the queen at the end?

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
Good episode. Sort of surprised they replaced basically 1 actress due to age
The man with the cane. Who is he related 2 and was he blackmailing the queen at the end?
Multiple actresses - Rhaenyra and Alicent are both recast with older actresses.
And Larys Strong is the younger son of the Hand of the King, Lyonel Strong (and younger brother of Harwin Strong).

Amazing to see Viserys was still kicking after all those years. I was expecting the episode to open with his death.

The transition to the aged up actors was pretty smooth… Alicent in particular.

Remove ads