House of the Dragon spoiler thread

pukunui

Legend
sub-buzz-4382-1663274646-2.jpg

I would agree but I still just can't get over her moralizing in a room full of tapestries graphically depicting orgies. Like, it's OK to have those on your walls - even in the room where you nurse your kids - but it's not OK to visit a place where the depicted activities actually take place? It just does not compute for me.

Also, she really ought to be more upset with her father, since he's the one who put her in such a terrible position in the first place.
The rumour was not just a visit to a brothel/orgy, it was that she slept with her own uncle. I’m not sure that erotic tapestries are quite on the same level as actual incest…

Initially I think Alicent is upset as much out of jealousy as anything, here Rhaenyra gets to sleep with whoever she chooses while she is stuck in a forced marriage…

…But, I think the main reason Alicent is upset when she learns the truth, is that Rhaenyra is lying to her (on the memory of her mother) which means that she’s playing the ‘game of thrones’ and thus, the life of her son is potentially in danger.

There‘s multiple layers of implications to everything that’s said in the series, personally I’m really enjoying the show for that reason.

Zardnaar

Legend
He didn’t have to throw his own daughter at the king. Viserys was right when he accused Otto of wanting to put his own blood on the throne.

Maybe but that applies to anyone wanting to marry into the royal family. Any child of that union is a Targaryen anyway

Otto is right though when he was talking to Alicent. IRL kings who screwed up the succession don't tend to be remembered to fondly.

pukunui

Legend
Yes, Otto was right, but the whole situation is entirely his doing. If he hadn’t foisted Alicent on the king, she wouldn’t be in the position she’s in now. That’s my point.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
The rumour was not just a visit to a brothel/orgy, it was that she slept with her own uncle. I’m not sure that erotic tapestries are quite on the same level as actual incest…
I thought inbreeding was accepted practice for Targaryans, Deamon intimated it was their way and sibling unions seemed to be normal-ish in their lineage.

In comparison You’ve got an old king taking his daughters teen companion as a replacement queen in a room hung with erotic tapestries, that seems equally scandalous really - especially with the added scandal of her being pimped out by he father The Hand…

Remove ads