• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

House rule to Replace the flat DC15 for massive damage

IceBear

Explorer
I don't like the fact that the Fort save for massive damage is a flat DC15. What are some house rules that people use for this?

I'm thinking something like DC=15 (base)+1/10 points of damage above base.

A medium creature hit for 72 points of damage would have to make a DC=17 save.

IceBear

Last edited:

Hollywood

First Post
IceBear said:
I don't like the fact that the Fort save for massive damage is a flat DC15. What are some house rules that people use for this?

I'm thinking something like DC=15 (base)+1/10 points of damage above base.

A medium creature hit for 72 points of damage would have to make a DC=17 save.

We've yet to implement it, but we're thinking of using a DC=15 + damage done via the dice roll, i.e a barbarian wielding a greataxe would have a DC ranging from 16 to 27.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Hollywood, I'm pretty sure that Icebear is talking about the save when the massive damage threshold (50pts) is exceeded - which is a very different issue to what you seem to be describing.

Icebear - You could simplify your formula to being DC = 10 + (damage/10) when damage >=50. This works out exactly the same as what you are saying, but by happy co-incidence is marginally easier to calculate quickly.

I think I'd go with that.

Cheers

IceBear

Explorer
Thanks Planesailing, that's about what I wrote in my notes.

Hmmmm - the reason I asked that question was because I thought a lot of people had house ruled it. I guess not :)

IceBear

Chacal

First Post
I haven't DMed high level enough to use the rule, but I'll certainly house rule it.
Perhaps I'll stick with the base DC or your rule for instant death,
and use a higher DC for avoiding KO.

Chacal

uv23

First Post
Currently under consideration in my campaign setting:

Note that this lends itself way more to a gritty campaign setting rather than a super duper heroic one. I've always found the 50 damage thing silly. This is also a low magic setting so if you're struck for 30 points of damage by a fireball, its a pretty significant event and you should have a real chance of dying regardless of hitpoints.

Instead, massive damage is dependent on the Constitution of the victim. If he suffers damage greater than his Con, he must make a fort save or die. The DC for the fort save is damage done minus the victim's constitution.

Example:

Joe the fighter has a Con of 12. He suffers 20 points of damage. He must make a fort save s DC 8 (20-12) or die instantly.

Since charater's fort saves increase with level, they should have a greater chance of surviving more damage as they start to face more and more deadly beasties.

Variations:
Massive damage threshold is twice the character's constitution. DC is damage dealt minus that threshold.

OR

Instead of instant death, character is reduced to -1 hitpoints and is dying.

Last edited:

Crothian

First Post
I upped the DC to 25. By the time characters and monsters were doing 50 points of damage, a DC 15 fort save was a joke.

Hollywood

First Post
Plane Sailing,

Nope was talking about the MDT too. Since most of the damage caused to get to 50+ [or racial max.] is normally bonuses due to magic, strength, etc. instead of trying to find a good formula that worked, we've basically decided to go to with the DC of 15 (although think we may go with a DC 10 as the base) + the damage done via the dice roll.

Al

First Post
The major side-effect of tweaking the Massive Damage save is that high-level spellcasters become a whole lot more powerful.

For example, by 11th level, the wizard can throw a Maximised Fireball for 60 points of damage. If the damage isn't bad enough, you have to take a Fort save or die anyway. Granted, you get a Reflex save, but if you fail that, you are on for a MD save.

Now, under Crothian's ruling, that DC becomes 25 (!) Compare and contrast with the higher level Finger of Death (which has a DC probably in the low 20s, affects one creature and does much less damage on a failed save).

Under uv23's ruling, this save becomes nigh impossible to make. 60 points of damage? So, with a Con of 20, you still have to make a DC 40 save. The 2xCon works for a bit, but when the Maximised Cone of Cold hits you for 90 points, you will be facing a DC 50 save (assuming 20 Con doubled).

Hollywood: What of spells? The 'base damage' theory is all very well, but if applied to spells, what would one use. For the Maximised Fireball, would it be 15+d6, 15+6, 15+10d6 (!) or 15+60 (!!).

Personally, I think that the MDT works fine. If any of the tweaks here is passable, I would probably run with IceBear's.

Hollywood

First Post
Al said:
Hollywood: What of spells? The 'base damage' theory is all very well, but if applied to spells, what would one use. For the Maximised Fireball, would it be 15+d6, 15+6, 15+10d6 (!) or 15+60 (!!).

Yeah, thats true. For spells it would probably be the first damage dice only. So even a Max. Fireball would generate a DC save of 21 [15+6].

I should note to go along with that, the PCs and NPCs don't automatically die, rather they get set to -1 hp. Monsters do die [note, the more intelligent monsters such as dragons I don't consider monsters and they get treated as NPCs].

Remove ads