• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Houseruled: Feats, Rolled Stats, MCing Pick One

Zardnaar

Legend
I'd probably walk. The DM is banning things but lacks a coherent enough rationale to be committed to which two things need to go, which makes me think they are on an arbitrary power trip.

But, for the sake of a hypothetical I'd take rolled stats. I have plenty of ideas for featless and singleclassed characters I'd like to try, but not rolling stats just feels dirty.
Reasons is balance and class and feat design in 5E.

20 dex and sharpshooter archery style level 1 powergamer. Casual player doesn't pick either.

-1/+10 in effect vs the casual player.

Reasons is balance and class and feat design in 5E.

20 dex and sharpshooter archery style level 1 powergamer. Casual player doesn't pick either.

-1/+10 in effect vs the casual player.

Sure. But a DM feeling that banning any two out of the three will equally be the magic balance bullet doesn't give me confidence that they have really thought it through.

Shiroiken

Legend
As a player I'd choose feats. I almost never multiclass, so that's not an issue. Rolled stats, point buy, or array all work for me.

Oh, and I'll throw my hat in the ring about feats. The problem isn't the power feats, which are about equivalent to +2 on your primary ability*, but the sheer number of terrible feats. Add in the fact that you're only going to get a handful (at best) over the course of a campaign, and you're going to see the same ones over and over again.

*Sharpshooter is slightly above the norm, but only because two abilities negate most penalties for ranged attacks, making the -5/+10 easier to do.

Magister Ludorum

Adventurer
I'd pick feats. I prefer point buy over rolling if level based ASI is used (as per RAW). I don't multiclass, but feats are non-negotiable. I play 3 times a week. I don't need to play a game without feats.

Feats. I hate rolled stats, and if I'm playing a class system I'd generally rather lean into the classes than try and break them.

But it's not all or nothing with feats.

Allowing feats does not mean you have to allow all feats.

There's a few feats I'd be really reluctant to ever strip out such as the resilient feats.

I feel like feats need to be tiered. (Not so much in terms of power, but rather to the extent they introduce further exceptions to the base rules).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads