D&D 1E How about a little love for AD&D 1E

fuindordm

Adventurer
@Celebrim

Thanks for your feedback and suggestions! I can respond to some of your ideas:

As I see it, in AD&D there are three types of skills. (Of course, this analysis is my own inference and interpolation; the design principles are never stated in the books.)

1. There are some "highly reliable" skills that are successful in the range of 80-100%, such as the druid's nature lore, assassin's disguise, barbarian's first aid, ranger's tracking, and thief's climbing. Typically these skills fall into what we would call the exploration pillar today. They are reliable either because the consequences of failure are not very important (e.g. tracking, first aid) or so dire (e.g. disguise) that any large chance of failure would make them not worth using.

2. Then there are some "difficult, can't even try if untrained skills" of which the thief skills are the archetype, but there are a few other examples such as bard charm & lore, and barbarian detection of magic and illusion. The design principle for these skills seems to be that succeeding gives you an advantage, but failing doesn't have a major consequence. A thief who fails detect traps is no worse off than before--they may still get a 1-2 in 6 roll to avoid (a frequent mechanic in modules) or use a creative approach to mitigate the risk. Failing to hide/move silently does not mean you are detected, it just means your chance of surprise remains the default. At least, that is how I ran it--if failing a detect traps roll meant setting off the trap, no one would ever try it!

3. The middle ground is when PCs attempt challenging tasks that require no special training. In 1e, we have some d6-based examples of such tasks, like open doors and the implicit perception vs stealth opposed check of surprise. Post 3E this is usually handled as d20+ability bonus >= 10, 15, or 20. The DC is very subjective and ad hoc, which makes the precision of the d20 roll a bit illusory in my opinion. In 2E, d20 < ability score was more frequent, but again the DM might assign ad hoc bonuses/penalties, and the informal system was completely at odds with the NWP system that had its own rules for actions that previously could be attempted untrained. These are some reasons why I find the d20 roll unsatisfying. In the past I have also tried systems like 3d6 under ability for easy, 4d6 under ability for challenging, and 5d6 under ability for extremely hard tasks. BUT lately I have been trying to reduce my tendency to ask for ability checks, preferring to grant auto-success if the action seems reasonable and in line with the character's experience, even under mild pressure. This is why I suggest in the document that if success seems likely (>50%) based on the DMs understanding of the situation, they should just let the PCs succeed, and ask for the d6 roll only if the consequences of failure are truly interesting.

Your point about the granularity and precision of the test is entirely valid, but I think a question of preference. Since the difficulty/target number is subjective, that uncertainty can cancel out the precision of the roll. Another advantage of a d20 roll would be if you give the PCs an opportunity to specialize; but this doesn't make much sense for the untrained ability checks. In the case of perception/stealth/surprise, the specialization of the thief in AD&D, and the desired granularity, is implemented differently by introducing a difficult % check that if passed provides a static and significant bonus (see the DMG explanation of surprise and the effects of successful thief skill rolls). At least, this is my interpretation--any trained skill roll with a low base chance of success should provide a bonus if succeeded but not a grave consequence if failed. The bluff/insight opposed roll looked like another "untrained" example that fits in the same design pattern.

Now, I don't claim this system resolves all problems of verisimilitude! But it is good enough for me to consider running with as a DM. In the tree example I would let a thief climb automatically (since it is significantly easier than sheer surfaces) even under pressure; but PCs without that skill would make a d6 Str roll with the failure simply meaning that they don't make progress. On the other hand, assuming that they can take their time, everyone would simply succeed. Some of these d6 rolls could also be supplanted by more detailed movement/exploration rules if they exist (for example, jumping as you mention).

The rest of this system, which I am still thinking about, is what other trained skills in categories 1 and 2 should exist to complete the set (I mention Persuasion as an example to modify the bluff/insight opposed roll), who should be able to access them and how (Intelligence bonus languages? proficiencies? swapping only with default class skills?), and how to handle all the special cases of exploration and movement defined by the thief-acrobat and barbarian classes in UA. But I think a unified system for AD&D based around these three "skill design patterns" is possible.

Thanks again for putting your thoughts down!

Celebrim

Legend
But it is good enough for me to consider running with as a DM.

Well, it's certainly better as a systematic approach than what you had available in 1e.

In the tree example I would let a thief climb automatically (since it is significantly easier than sheer surfaces) even under pressure...

I notice when I talk rules with long time 1e AD&D GMs (and I did run the system for a long time but gave up on it about 25 years ago now) is that they are very happy to talk about how they would use ruling in their own system, even if they are the one writing the rules.

This is an approach to rules vastly different than my own, which is that the rules represent some sort of contract or communication, where either I'm communicating with the player as a GM with regard to how he can expect situations to be handled, or else I am communicating as from one GM to the other and want to be exactly clear about how I would expect the rules to be used. Rulings for me represent what you are doing with respect to the inevitable edge cases and areas that the rules are silent on, and not what your general practice is. The whole point to me of creating a system is to get away from the need to always create rules.

As for your discussion of the granularity of difficulty, and how do you know whether something is 'easy', 'moderately difficult', 'difficult' or 'very difficult' and how ambiguity or arbitrariness with respect to the difficulty overrides in consistency, there is some truth to that but also I think it misses the point. The point is that assignment of difficulty, even if arbitrary, is consistent across the party. So if I say that swimming in the pool of water is moderately difficult, and thus DC 10, then what matters less is whether I've measured the current in the pool and accurately calculated the DC compared to other pools, but the fact that every players ability to swim handles the pool consistently. The lightly armored barbarian with his mighty arms has a really good chance of swimming (2+ on a DC20), while the heavily armored cleric has a good chance of sinking like a stone (anything less than 15+ on a D20). There is a high percentage chance things work as expected and investment in being able to swim pays off. The trouble with D6 as a fortune compared to a D20 and the reason that systems that used a single D6 tend to fail except as rules light one shots were success isn't a serious consideration is that there tends to not be enough room for variation in the fortune or for consideration of the situation.

I think D20 has worked out so well as a fortune mechanic because it's not as fiddly as a d% while it's much more granular than D10 or D6, and the math is much simpler and more intuitive than dice pools.

But again, basically I'm just saying I prefer something like the 3e skills system (no surprise, I said that at the beginning). My solution was going to be to integrate an ability check system based off the 3e system with NWP and then turn everything that looked like a skill into a NWP that gave you a situational boost to checks related to that NWP. So, "Trapfinding" and "Climbing" and "Stealth" etc. were going to become NWP's and thieves were effective going to start with the whole fist full of them.

ValamirCleaver

Ein Jäger aus Kurpfalz
I've played several Paladins and I only had a Holy Avenger once.
I've had a few different paladin characters with Holy Avengers, but each time it was the result of specific quests, never as random treasure. Luckily I've had DMs that were willing to encourage me toward playing the "Knight in Shining Armor Astride a Barded Charger" to the "T".

Sacrosanct

Legend
I've had a few different paladin characters with Holy Avengers, but each time it was the result of specific quests, never as random treasure. Luckily I've had DMs that were willing to encourage me toward playing the "Knight in Shining Armor Astride a Barded Charger" to the "T".
Yep. When our paladin player expressed interest in a holy sword, it was part of a quest. They had to get black razor out of white plume mountain, have a white dragon breath on it to freeze it and immediately smash it with whelm. Then take the pieces and have it reforged in a lost temple of Tyr.

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
Yep. When our paladin player expressed interest in a holy sword, it was part of a quest. They had to get black razor out of white plume mountain, have a white dragon breath on it to freeze it and immediately smash it with whelm. Then take the pieces and have it reforged in a lost temple of Tyr.
Talk about a Sisyphean task; when I played WPM, a fight broke out about the legendary weapons, and the Barbarian nabbed Blackrazor and threatened to kill anyone who dared to take it from him, lol.

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
Very much play as intended by the designer of the module.
I've never once heard of a group that actually returned the weapons to the people that hired them, lol.

EDIT: now that I've said that, I expect several posts of "my group totally returned the weapons".

Sacrosanct

Legend
I've never once heard of a group that actually returned the weapons to the people that hired them, lol.

EDIT: now that I've said that, I expect several posts of "my group totally returned the weapons".
As designed, the modules sort of really wants you to (Nix and Nox, Box and Cox, etc). But as the DM, if I gave a quest with those parameters, it would be an epic dirtbag move on my part if I did that the party after getting them. I just ignored that part of the module.

As I suspect many did, because of the many stories of those weapons appearing out in the wild I've heard over the years.

Emrico

Adventurer

Well, you knew this was coming.. 🤣🤣

I recently ran a group through WPM in an ongoing campaign and they did return the weapons. I'm absolutely certain that the fact that the party contained a Lawful Cavalier and Monk contributed HEAVILY to that decision as neither of those characters were willing to break their agreement to retrieve and return the weapons to their owners. The group was rewarded handsomely for the task.

The only character that really wanted to keep one was the Fighter that was specialized in Trident since starting at L1. And he REALLY, REALLY wanted to keep Wave. But did give it over.

Now he's spending a lot of time thinking about how he can get it back. 🤣

Remove ads