• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How about alignment?

What from of Alignment should exist in 5e?

• Alignment should Die in a Fire

Votes: 39 23.9%
  • Old School: Law, Neutral, Chaos

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • AD&D: 9 Alignments

Votes: 75 46.0%
  • 4e/WHFRPG style chain of 5

Votes: 10 6.1%
  • d20 Modern Allegience system

Votes: 13 8.0%
  • Something else (Please elaborate)

Votes: 17 10.4%

pemerton

Legend
Also, what does stuff about the planes have to do with this?

<snip>

My problem is that they have a no-specifics-setting motto with the stuff in 4e, then they put very specific things like gods vs primordials and eladrin coming from the feywild.

<snip>

Now I'm getting into much more of the fluff as opposed to the deals with alignments
I agree that if you're looking at 4e and expecting it to be setting-neutral it won't deliver. It is not setting neutral. And it doesn't claim to be setting neutral. Pages 150-51 of the DMG are headed "The D&D World" and talk about the core premises of the setting, and what happens if you change them. This stuff is repeated in the Essentials books.

That's why I mentioned The Plane Above. 4e's alignment system doesn't make any sense outside of the particular setting context (which The Plane Above helps to elaborate). That's what I like about it. I think anchoring alignment in a particular cosmology which is at the centre of the game (and Basic also did this, with its Law vs Chaos conflict) is the only way to make alignment work.

On the other hand, I gather that the setting-rich character of 4e alignment is something you dislike about it.

suddenly changing things without reason or explanation and just hoping and assuming people got it
I personally didn't have any trouble with this - I could supply a reason, and for me it harked back to Basic - but I agree in general that 4e would have benefitted from more and better designer notes.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads