D&D 5E How Can D&D Next Win You Over?

Shadeydm

First Post
You're allowed to have everyone being good at their thing as long as they don't walk over other people doing it. What you aren't allowed is to have someone better than the person in the party who is supposed to be good at it - and to have their thing.

This is what you think 5E will be?

Sorry for the confusion I guess my quote was too big. Is this what you think 5E will be?
I think that based on Monte Cook's track record it was a worry. Based on the Warpriest actually being at least as good a fighter as the fighter in the playtest they have demonstrated that they see no problem heading down that path unless we kick up a fuss every time they head that way. Because their own internal balance and design demonstrably didn't have any issue with presenting this option in playtesting, and Mearls has been praising the 3.X fighter - the fighter that was on the receiving end of this issue.

So do I think it will be part of 5e? I don't know yet. I just know they have talked in a manner that doesn't see this as a major problem, and demonstrated that they are quite happy to put material out to open playtest with this problem. Which means until the next playtest packet drops all the hard examples we have seen from them are like this.

So do I think that's what 5E will be? I hope not. But I think it will if we don't keep telling them that it's not acceptable every time they offer us something like this. After all, it's what they offered us before feedback.

Steely_Dan

First Post
I expect them to genuinely deliver on their promise of a modular D&D for everyone, as opposed to going back to the past, with prejudice.

Not back to the past, just not catering to the little pet project of Heinsoo & Co. to make the D&D game into an expanded variant of Dungeons & Dragons Miniatures, which it is, just compare the rules; and in no way does that mean you can't "role-play" in 4th Ed, I DMed it consistently.

But yeah, I think a big point of 5th Ed is to give 4th Ed a wide berth.

So a label makes it ok in one edition and the lack of a label makes it bad everywhere else...neat.
If the Wizard class in 3E was specifically designed to only facilitate the Controller role (or any other, specific role), it would have worked. But it wasn't.

The Wizard could, say, summon a Monster to get his very own Defender. No Fighter needed to fulfill that role. The Rogue may be able to sneak attack for 1/2 level d6, but the Wizard could use Fireball to deal 1d6 per level to multiple targets. Sure, that's a lot of control (20 ft radius burst FTW), but it's also a boatload of damage.
The only role the Wizard could not fulfill was that of what 4E calls the Leader. (But the "only" component it couldn't fill was the healing, the buffing it could get nailed down - which, to be fair, was at least also fun for the rest of the party, since it made them better at what they could do.)

The labels were just the first step in "fixing" things - to ensure that classes would fit their label and not get any other labels was critical.

Bluenose

Adventurer
If the Wizard class in 3E was specifically designed to only facilitate the Controller role (or any other, specific role), it would have worked. But it wasn't.

The Wizard could, say, summon a Monster to get his very own Defender. No Fighter needed to fulfill that role. The Rogue may be able to sneak attack for 1/2 level d6, but the Wizard could use Fireball to deal 1d6 per level to multiple targets. Sure, that's a lot of control (20 ft radius burst FTW), but it's also a boatload of damage.
The only role the Wizard could not fulfill was that of what 4E calls the Leader. (But the "only" component it couldn't fill was the healing, the buffing it could get nailed down - which, to be fair, was at least also fun for the rest of the party, since it made them better at what they could do.)

Actually, a Wizard had things on their Summon Monster list that could heal competently enough. Most of the ones I remember were quite high level, mind you.

Not back to the past, just not catering to the little pet project of Heinsoo & Co. to make the D&D game into an expanded variant of Dungeons & Dragons Miniatures, which it is, just compare the rules; and in no way does that mean you can't "role-play" in 4th Ed, I DMed it consistently.

But yeah, I think a big point of 5th Ed is to give 4th Ed a wide berth.

I predict that if 5E ends up giving 4E a wide berth, 50-75% of the 4E community will reject it and as a result it will fail WotC's sales goals and 6E will arrive in 3-5 years, if D&D isn't shelved completely.

Either 5E needs to embrace 4E modularly and be able to support 4E-style play just as well as any other style, or they need to rethink 5E and release it as more than one system.

ForeverSlayer

Banned
Banned
I predict that if 5E ends up giving 4E a wide berth, 50-75% of the 4E community will reject it and as a result it will fail WotC's sales goals and 6E will arrive in 3-5 years, if D&D isn't shelved completely.

Either 5E needs to embrace 4E modularly and be able to support 4E-style play just as well as any other style, or they need to rethink 5E and release it as more than one system.

I'm sorry but I don't think the 4th edition crowd was "that" large.

The success of Next will be down to "everyone", not the 4th edition crowd.

I'm sorry but I don't think the 4th edition crowd was "that" large.

The success of Next will be down to "everyone", not the 4th edition crowd.

I believe the 4E community is large enough that 5E can't succeed without it, and it doesn't need to be a majority for that to be true. A 4E rejection would compound 5E not being adopted by others, as I don't expect much of the OSR to adopt 5E and due to the fervor of a lot of Pathfinder fans there are going to be significant holdouts there.

Remove ads