How can DMs improve? What makes a good DM?

Here's something from a friend of mine on Monte's boards. I think it says what I appreciate more succinctly then I would put it. (Since I used 'succinctly' in a sentence about something short, that's proof positive.)

* Grasp of the rules and ability to explain them
* Energy/enthusiasm
* Descriptions of the environment, NPCs/monsters, action
* Portrayal of NPCs (distinctive voices, body language, emoting)
* Impartiality (tho sometimes bordering on merciless glee... )
* Effort to have everyone participate outside as well as inside of combat

I think the best GM trait though is the desire to GM. You need to nurture that. Feed your mind and exercise your muscles. Life is full of good ideas around you. Take that, run with it and have fun.

(That's all high-level thinking.)

On the "low level", don't be afraid to try to kill your players. Not arbitrarily. Just pull out all the stops with your NPCs and monsters. The players rise to the occasion. Just make sure you use Hero Points so they can save themselves or be creative. :D

Shade

Monster Junkie
For me, the #1 rule of DMing is "Lose the god complex". So many DMs post on this board how their players are idiots, are preventing them from achieving their "vision", etc. They limit options, limit choices, limit advancement...all in the name of what they want. If the players want all that, then that's cool. But using Rule Zero to lord over your friends is simply not cool, IMO.

Rel said:
I strongly encourage all GM's to attend Game Days and Cons if they can.
This is certainly one of the best ways to improve your skills. Also, and I'm surprised no one's really mentioned it, READ ENWORLD :). I pick up a new idea, DMing tip, experience, etc. every day by just browsing the general forum for an hour. It's worth the time.

One thing that I'm working improving is multi-tasking. I'm downright bad at it. That means that once I get in a session, I forget important things in the heat of combat like giving vivid descriptions, watching how my players react to the situation, etc. A good piece of advice that I'm always giving myself to help with this is: slow down. Running a fast paced, intense gaming isn't about finishing every combat in 5 minutes or keeping the plot moving at a steady clip, it's about keeping the dramatic elements going. Of course, the trick is keeping the players interested in that drama once the dice start rolling ;).

NCSUCodeMonkey

nakia

First Post
I'm not Piratecat, but Rel is a great GM! :)

My biggest lesson as GM (that I am still learning) is -- relax. At the end of the session, ask yourself -- did my players have fun? and did I have fun? If the answer to those questions is "yes" then you did your job. Everything else is secondary.

I think all the other essentials -- knowing your players and knowing your system -- are simply ways to help you relax behind the screen. It's sort of a zen kinda thing, where increased mastery and knowledge leads to a clearer, more relaxed state.

Oh, and no ninjas. :D

Rel

Liquid Awesome
NCSUCodeMonkey said:
Also, and I'm surprised no one's really mentioned it, READ ENWORLD :). I pick up a new idea, DMing tip, experience, etc. every day by just browsing the general forum for an hour. It's worth the time.

Indeed it is. And that reminds me that this is where I learned the "Piratecat Rule" which is basically, "Assume that whatever the players want to do will work (on some level at least) and then figure out how to make THAT as exciting as possible."

StupidSmurf

First Post
I've always maintained that a good DM is:

One part referee
One part diplomat
One part actor
One part story teller
One part social director
One part rules lawyer
One part administrative assistant
One part comedian, and...
Five parts S.O.B. ;)

FickleGM

Explorer
nakia said:
...My biggest lesson as GM (that I am still learning) is -- relax...

I agree 100% on this one. I find that when I am trying too hard or being overly critical of myself that I am at my worst running a game. When I run it fast and loose, roll with the punches and do not worry about the little things that the game runs smoother and the players have more fun.

One more thing along the same lines - don't overanalyze your game sessions after the fact. I have a habit of picking apart every little thing I do. In the end, I find that sessions that the players enjoyed are often seen as failures by me. Look for roadblocks that hurt the game, but do not stress over hiccups and bumps (heck, many times the players don't even notice).

Worrying and stress are not what the game should be about. Unfortunately, threads like this one sometimes have that unwanted affect. A lot of good advice, but suddenly GMs around the world are comparing themselves to Rel. ;)

Take what advice you can realistically use, improve what NEEDS to be improved and live with the rest. I think that the main factor may be confidence (note: I said confidence, not arrogance - a line that some GMs cross). A confident GM is going to come across better to the players, which often results in a better game.

Black Omega

First Post
I'll chime in with the others. Practice and enjoyment will make you better over time.

For me the biggest thing has been how I prepare for the game. I used to wing it more and simply put one adventure after the other. Over time I've tried to learn how to pace the campaign so sometimes it's dramatic and sometimes it's light hearted. As well as deciding what role adventures have in a game. The first adventure might be to introduce the world. The second to introduce some local NPCs. Just as background purposes behind simply putting the PC's into a fun and dangerous situation.

I've been GMing for a long time and I'm still learning new tricks, GM mastery is a path, not a destination.:)

Remove ads