D&D 5E How can you add more depth and complexity to skill checks?

nomotog

Explorer
For this thread, I would like to take it as red that you want to do this. I know there is an argument that skills should be a simple, but assuming we want them to be more complex how do we do that?

tsodge

Villager
If it was something I wanted to do I'd consider giving players a resource. A bonus that must be earned by 'grinding' the appropriate skill somehow. Like inspired in that ability (but probably not adv, more like +2).

Players decide after the roll but before results.

Balance the bonus Vs the effort to gain it.

nomotog

Explorer
What does it look like for ability checks to be more "complex?" What's the ultimate goal?

Offer more choice in build and action in regards to the ability check side of gameplay. A little board because I don't want to narrow in on an answer before I get the question, but DnD doesn't have a lot of mechanical hooks if you want to invest in skills.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
Offer more choice in build and action in regards to the ability check side of gameplay. A little board because I don't want to narrow in on an answer before I get the question, but DnD doesn't have a lot of mechanical hooks if you want to invest in skills.

So like "Skill Powers" a la D&D 4e?

Remove ads