D&D 5E How complex do you like your character creation process?

How complex do you like your character creation process?

• 1. Super simple. Even 5E's streamlined process is too much.

Votes: 11 11.5%
  • 2. Simple. 5E's streamlined process fits me well and I use it.

Votes: 8 8.3%
  • 3. Standard. 5E's typical process, with choices I can think about, is enough.

Votes: 31 32.3%
  • 4. More. I like 5E's process, but I think we could have some more choices.

Votes: 28 29.2%
  • 5. Mega-More. I find 5E's process unsatisfying and I want a lot more choices!

Votes: 11 11.5%
  • 6. Other. Please explain in your post.

Votes: 7 7.3%

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
I got into a discussion recently about 5E and the character creation process in the game. You can make it pretty streamlined if you want: standard array, pick race, select class and quick build, choose from the equipment options and you're done (more or less). You can also roll scores, ponder over your race, take your time browsing classes and backgrounds, roll gold and buy equipment.

But would anyone like more choices in making their character? How do you feel about it and what are your thoughts? I would guess from Level Up some people at least want more...

Lyxen

Great Old One
I played some games in the past (Chivalry and Sorcery, for example) where character creation was such a complex process that it needed at least a complete session to get through it. I've created pages of background for some characters. But now, honestly, all I want is to start playing with a reasonable idea of my capabilities, and 5e gives me a palette which is good enough to play long campaign for years without ever encountering the same character. As for the role, I like to have a good idea, but I much prefer retro-creating my history from what is happening in the campaign and the interaction with the world and the other characters. It's more fun, it's more collective, and it ties it much better into the actual play.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Voted 4. For D&D-style games, I do prefer a few more buttons and widgets being available to me, so 5e is a little on the light side for my taste. 3.5/PF1 is a little rich these days for my blood, but I always enjoyed making characters for S&P era 2e, or 4e, or '90s era White Wolf games.

I do also enjoy procedural or random character generation, though, especially stuff like playbooks in PbtA or FitD games.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
I voted 3, but really should have voted 6. I like simple character creation (less than 10 minutes even if you've never played before) and the choices should be backloaded to later levels.

Yaarel

He Mage
Structurally, 5e gets it right.

The feat being equivalent to the ability boost is the right amount of design space.

The leaning toward fewer classes and more archetypes is ok.

There are still options that I want to see, such as the Psion class.

Also I want the ability to completely customize the spell list of any class, especially by organizing the spell list into themes, and focusing on one or two themes.

I am happy with Tashas ability customization and proficiencies swaps.

So, I selected option 4 in the survey: I like 5e and I want more.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
I voted 3, but really should have voted 6. I like simple character creation (less than 10 minutes even if you've never played before) and the choices should be backloaded to later levels.
But then they really aren't choices at character creation, are they?

Otherwise, I am not certain precisely what you mean. Could you give an example in this case?

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I got into a discussion recently about 5E and the character creation process in the game. You can make it pretty streamlined if you want: standard array, pick race, select class and quick build, choose from the equipment options and you're done (more or less). You can also roll scores, ponder over your race, take your time browsing classes and backgrounds, roll gold and buy equipment.

But would anyone like more choices in making their character? How do you feel about it and what are your thoughts? I would guess from Level Up some people at least want more...
I’d like a little more, but just adding bonus feats at level 1 gets me where I want.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
I guess that is exactly what I mean. Race, Class, Background, and maybe spells (I remember when I would have wizards roll randomly for starting spells) should be the only choices of character creation.
Ok, I see what you mean.

But even within those you could have more options, even if not more choices. ;)

Originally I was going to use the idea of "detailed" along side of complex.

Here's part of the reason why I made the OP:
In the 5E mod my group is designing, we've added a prologue level (Level 0), where you only select your race and background and need 1000 XP before you select your class. Part of this the choices you make for race and background leads to other choices before you even begin playing.

It adds another layer of complexity to the character creation process and I am wondering how well received it might be by others. Obviously our group likes it since we made it for ourselves. ;)

Remove ads