• 7 -- rules heavy/crunchy games

Votes: 15 9.3%

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • 9 -- rules ultra-heavy

Votes: 0 0.0%

Argyle King

Legend
I went with 4.

I think it's "medium" overall, but there are areas of the game which are a bit on the shallow side.

On occasions when I've found it confusing, it's usually because something is worded in an odd way or a particular rule seems un-intuitive. For example, parsing the differences between attacks; melee attacks; unarmed strikes; natural weapons; and natural attacks matter to the rules in a way that's not always logical.

5E books also tend toward have rather poor indices. So, while the information may not be difficult to understand, funding what you need to know isn't always easy.

On the DM-side of things, I might rate the complexity higher. The encounter-building guidelines are somewhat convoluted.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
On the DM-side of things, I might rate the complexity higher. The encounter-building guidelines are somewhat convoluted.

Ha! I didn't even consider stuff like that because I see it as optional and ignore it! But part of why I ignore it is because I trust my gut when it comes to running D&D more than I do any crunchy system, which may be a flaw - but it has worked for me so far.

Last edited:

Argyle King

Legend
Ha! I didn't even consider stuff like that because I see it as optional and ignore it! But part of why I ignore it is because I trust my gut when it comes to running D&D than I do any crunchy system, which may be a flaw - but it has worked for me so far.

There are a lot of games in which I just go with whatever I feel makes sense given the situation.

When it comes to D&D 5E, I'm not as confident. Some part of that is because it's the edition of D&D I've DMed the least.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Not rules heavy enough. The rules should preclude players deciding that Rule of Cool or how their char "feels" is more important than the actual game.
Heh... this is why we have games like Twilight Imperium or Terraforming Mars to play. All the crunch without that dreaded "character-work" to deal with. ;)

Remove ads