D&D General How did/do you make your THAC0 attacks rolls?

Attack roll method

• DM announces the opponent's AC. You subtract it from your THAC0 and hope to roll equal or higher.

Votes: 4 10.5%
  • You roll a d20 and subtract it from your THAC0, announcing what AC you hit.

Votes: 17 44.7%
  • You consult a THAC0 chart and announce what AC you hit.

Votes: 6 15.8%
  • The DM has a list of each character's THAC0 value and tells you if your roll scored a hit.

Votes: 9 23.7%
  • Other

Votes: 2 5.3%

vivsavage

Explorer
What method did/do you use to make your combat rolls? In other words, did you adjust your THAC0 by the opponent's AC (as in the rules), or did you subtract your d20 roll from your THAC0 and tell the DM what AC you've hit? Or something else?

ccs

41st lv DM
The character sheets we were using at the time already had an AC chart printed on them.
We'd adjust the #s needed to hit when we lvd up as needed.

Roll d20, apply modifiers, look at chart, report what AC we hit.

Thus whenever I hear about people moaning about how bad THAC0 was/is I always wonder "Why didn't they just write themselves a chart?".

I went with the "DM has a list of player THAC0s and checks that against what they rolled."

At a con recently, I played at a table that the DM had the player tell them up to what AC they did hit. Then all the DM had to do was know what AC the monster had. I quite liked that set-up.

Jack Daniel

dice-universe.blogspot.com
Effectively the same as the first option, but without the subtraction: DM announces target AC; player rolls 1d20 + AC and hits if the total equals or exceeds their adjusted THAC0.

I didn't like THAC0 so I invented a system called HABL where positive numbers were good and negative numbers were bad. It was pretty much the BAB system, before D&D used that.

Celebrim

Legend
I played 1e, and the methodology I eventually evolved to as the fastest method of play was to develop a 'to hit' table for each player in the part that summed all their standard modifiers. That way, the player could just report the result of the roll, and we didn't have the six second delay where they add their strength bonus, magic item bonus, weapon proficiency, etc.

Even better, this meant that I could roll into the table all the individual weapon versus AC modifiers as well, with one line for each weapon a player was likely to use. I ended up clipping hand written sheets to my DM screens, because the custom tables specific to the party actually in front of me were far more useful than general ones.

While it meant a small amount of upfront cost, the results in play were awesome.

Staffan

Legend
I had sheets with adjusted THAC0 values (including permanent modifiers for stats, proficiency, and magic) on them, and had my players calculate the lowest AC they hit by taking modified THAC0 minus the d20 roll. That was the only way that made any sort of sense to me.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
We always used an adjusted thac0 which took into account all bonuses/penalties then the player subtracted the die roll to see which AC they hit and I told them if they hit. Right in the beginning when I first started with becmi I recall writing out a matrix bit that didn't last long because it was more work than was required.

Remove ads