• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How did Trek Become Such a Phenomenon?

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
As I mentioned upthread, I have a flip-case for my Samsung smartphone. It has a magnetic catch, and flips back in classic Communicator style.

Let us look at your example. Note how it flips *down*. Note that it doesn't look to actually have a hinge, but is instead a continuous piece of flexible leather-like substance that bends around the end of the phone. Completely unsuitable for this use. A quick search suggests to me that most flip cases for smartphones are such - leather hinge, and flipping down or to the side, rather than up. I did see one hard cover with hinge for a Galaxy Note 2, but it opened to the side.

So, not exactly countering the idea that you'd need custom parts and manufacture yet.

MarkB

Legend
Let us look at your example. Note how it flips *down*. Note that it doesn't look to actually have a hinge, but is instead a continuous piece of flexible leather-like substance that bends around the end of the phone. Completely unsuitable for this use. A quick search suggests to me that most flip cases for smartphones are such - leather hinge, and flipping down or to the side, rather than up. I did see one hard cover with hinge for a Galaxy Note 2, but it opened to the side.

So, not exactly countering the idea that you'd need custom parts and manufacture yet.

Yeah, I didn't bother spending ten minutes looking for one which flips upwards exactly like mine does - somehow, I thought that merely presenting an example of a similar one would be enough to convey that there are such cases out there. Really, it feels like you're just picking holes for the sake of it at this point.

Janx

Hero
Yeah, I didn't bother spending ten minutes looking for one which flips upwards exactly like mine does - somehow, I thought that merely presenting an example of a similar one would be enough to convey that there are such cases out there. Really, it feels like you're just picking holes for the sake of it at this point.

I tend to agree with the sentiment.

Obviously licensing and lawyers has to be dealt with.

But it is trivial to come up with a workable design based on the elements we've found. A flip-up hinge lid like the example JJA Communicator is a simple design pattern to anybody who's crafted anything.

It's 2 peg holes in the sides of the frame near the top.

The The flip panel is sized to cover the screen in some artful way (maybe put the TOS Grill on it, or make it look like JJA's.

On the sides, near the top, the arms extend which include the pegs that insert into the peg holes on the frame.

The length of the arms, sweep of the arch between the arms controls how far the flip lid will open. JJA design shows an example of the typical range of motion, much like the classic flip phones.

Once prototypes are built, they can be refined with some time on a 3d printer. Once that's set, ship it off to China for mass production.

Really, the only barrier is lawyers. And Paramount is fairly promiscuous with their Trek licensing, so how hard can it be.

Even the TOS Communicator is a cheap mod. Buy the toy, gut it, install the parts from a $40 Motorola bluetooth ear piece. Much like the ingenuity of the Steampunkers, I expect that SOMEBODY has already done this in the Trekkie community.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Really, it feels like you're just picking holes for the sake of it at this point.

No, I'm making points because you guys sound like gamers who figure that just because they love games, running a gaming store is easy. You are very blithe about the complications.

Really, the only barrier is lawyers. And Paramount is fairly promiscuous with their Trek licensing, so how hard can it be.

Fine. Then do it. If it really is trivially easy, and there's a ready-made market for it, then you can prove me wrong and make a mint for yourself at the same time by actually doing it.

Or, you can make up the list of excuses why you can't, or shouldn't, or don't have time... and then realize that everyone has that list when it comes to taking actual risks. You may thus learn it takes a bit more than just the idea to get it done.

MarkB

Legend
Seriously? "Do it yourself or admit that it's impossible for an established, experienced company to do it"?

That's a seriously weak argument.

Janx

Hero
No, I'm making points because you guys sound like gamers who figure that just because they love games, running a gaming store is easy. You are very blithe about the complications.

Fine. Then do it. If it really is trivially easy, and there's a ready-made market for it, then you can prove me wrong and make a mint for yourself at the same time by actually doing it.

Or, you can make up the list of excuses why you can't, or shouldn't, or don't have time... and then realize that everyone has that list when it comes to taking actual risks. You may thus learn it takes a bit more than just the idea to get it done.

You may forget, I am already in the transforming ideas into solutions business. I am well aware of the greater value of an Implementation over an unrealized Idea.

You're right, I probably won't start a business making these things. I've got enough other projects I'm working on. But just as you are more than just a physicist, you presume too much that I am incapable of doing it given that my very trade is designing solutions and determining the resources to do it.

I can fabricate a mockup in my shop.

I know a guy who sculpts minis professionally to build a better prototype that can be reproduced.

Somebody like Danny can be hired to track down the feasibility of getting the rights.

Based on how that goes, we setup up a Kickstarter to buy the license and setup production at a place that can press these out (FoxConn got its start doing that kind of work).

I know people who know people at FoxConn from my past employer.

The problem is not the idea. Or whether I personally can do it. There is somebody out there with the interest and means to do it. Ironically, that person hasn't appeared yet. But it is very feasible, even as a one shot custom item.

There's no reason to be a double debbie downer man. We're brainstorming.

Janx

Hero
Seriously? "Do it yourself or admit that it's impossible for an established, experienced company to do it"?

That's a seriously weak argument.

Honestly, I'm a little surprised by Umbran's attitude. It just doesn't seem like his normal diplomatic self.

It really isn't hard to make ONE of these things. Like the Steampunkers, Trekkies who are into cosplay are big into making props. It really is ironic that it doesn't appear that anybody's made something like it yet. Or at least it hasn't shown up in a GIS.

Remove ads