• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How did you arrive at D&D?

How did you "arrive" in the D&D hobby?

• D&D first

Votes: 260 70.1%
  • Other RPG --> D&D

Votes: 41 11.1%
  • Computer RPG --> D&D

Votes: 22 5.9%
  • Computer RPG --> other RPGs --> D&D

Votes: 12 3.2%
  • Some other, non-RPG (card game, board game, etc.) --> D&D

Votes: 23 6.2%
  • Some other, non-RPG --> other RPG --> D&D

Votes: 13 3.5%

mikedidthis

First Post
Like many others, it was the Basic D&D Holmes blue box that got me started (belonged to my cousin). That was around 1980 when I was in jr. high. During the 80s, I loved just about any boxed set TSR put out (Top Secret, Star Frontiers, Boot Hill, Gamma World, etc.) Got into a few other systems for a while as I was enamored with the idea of "realism" (Twilight 2000, anyone?), but these days it's pretty much just D&D for roleplaying because it's still fun.

Yami no Hon

First Post
I started with the first Baulder's Gate PC game. I got about as far as the end of the prolauge before I decided "Holy *bleep* this is cool. I've got to get the paper and dice version of this." It was several years later before I actually started playing. I came in just after the switch to 3rd ed. had been made.

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
Computer RPG --> other RPGs --> D&D

First CRPGs were Bard's Tale I/II, Pool of Radiance, Champions of Krynn, etc. Way back in the late 80s/early 90s.

Gothmog

First Post
Back in 1983, my mom was at a hobby store buying some model train stuff for my dad for his birthday, when she saw the old MERP (Middle Earth Role Playing) red boxed set, and since I had been reading the hobbit and LotR at the time, she bought it for me. I remember when she gave it to me, I had no idea what it was, but I sat down one Saturday afternoon and read the book. While it didn't make a lot of sense to me at 10, I got some friends together the next Saturday and we played the sample adventure, and we were all hooked. I also started compulsively buying all the old Grenadier LotR minis at that time for the game. We played MERP for about another year non-stop, before one of my friend's older brothers introduced use to 1st edition AD&D. After I played the first session, I went and bought the PHB, MM, MMII, FF, UA, and DMG with mowing money I had saved up, and that began our D&D craze.

derelictjay

Explorer
Computer games first. It went something like this.
Dragon Warrior/Final Fantasy (old NES games) -> D&D Gold Box CRPGs -> 2e D&D -> 3e D&D.

Of course, books & stories had a solid influence going with this. Conan -> Earthsea Trilogy -> Dragonlance Cronicles -> 2e D&D -> 3e D&D

Its a toss up which path actually lead to D&D As I started Conan before I started with those old NES games

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads