D&D General How did you deal with Command: "Blaspheme!"?

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
The most evil one I've used as a DM is "defecate." Nothing upsets a player more than having their character crap themselves as their turn.
Hahahahaha! That's so evil, I'm going to have to do this to my players. I don't think any of them has access to the spell, but the thought of them going up against an evil high priest of a death god, or a haughty even wizard and making the naughty word their pa t's is hilarious.

Never had it happened. That said if it did I’m sure deities know that their servants are acting under magical control, so it’s not a problem.

Yup. This seems like the divine equivalent of a nose tweak. "Ha ha! My guy made your guy say something bad!"

The whole alignment change penalty system falls apart if mental compulsion or even non-magical duress can trigger it, and this isn't much different. Not that some 1e DMs weren't antisocial enough to assign penalties.

Tony Vargas

Legend
Hey, let's change the 3.x "You may select from the following options" to "You might issue a command other than one described here. If you do so, the GM determines how the target behaves" for 5e, because no one ever came up with cheesy commands in 1e!

Sorry. Anyway, the official party line back in the day, IIRC, was that ambiguous commands would fail. Since "Blaspheme!" is innately ambiguous - do you, as a Cleric, mean blaspheme against your own deity? Or against the targets? What if he's an atheist? - it probably does nothing.

Remove ads