• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How difficult would it be to hit a wand?

demon_jr

First Post
I'm trying to come up with the AC for hitting a wand in my character's hand.

Here is what I came up with:

10 - base AC
+5 - character's dex bonus
+2 - deflection bonus from ring of protection
+5 - for being in my character's hand

22 - total

I got these figures from the PHB about attempting to attack an item.

So if my character was holding a wand and an opponent wanted to sunder or damage it, they would have to hit an AC of 22 right?

The PHB states that you add "magical deflection bonuses" to the AC of the object. Does that mean the literal "deflection bonus" such as that from the ring of protection or does it include magical bonuses to AC as well?

Would a shield spell add to the AC of attempting to strike an object carried by my character? I would assume so since it grants an cover AC bonus (I think. I'm not sure what type of AC bonus the revised shield spell gives.) I would think that the any beneft to AC you receive from cover also applies to any object you carry in your hands.

dkilgo

First Post
demon_jr said:
10 - base AC

22 - total

Your total is correct by what information you have given thus far.

Would a shield spell add to the AC of attempting to strike an object carried by my character? I would assume so since it grants an cover AC bonus (I think. I'm not sure what type of AC bonus the revised shield spell gives.) I would think that the any beneft to AC you receive from cover also applies to any object you carry in your hands.

I would have to say, "no". The shield spell gives you a cover bonus to AC, but not a deflection bonus. The PHB states on page 135 that ,"... and any magic defelction bonus to AC to character might have...". So, hence the only bonus to the AC would have to come from a defelction bonus, charcter's Dex bonus, or any enhancements that add to an items Dex score. Which I do not think that I have seen any enhancements that do that. I might be wrong.

AGGEMAM

First Post
demon_jr said:
Here is what I came up with:

10 - base AC

22 - total

You only forgot the +2 size bonus for being a tiny sized object.

See the DMG, page 206. It says a wand has an AC of 7, if you break that down it is:

10 (base) -5 (no dex) +2 (size) = 7

EDIT: And off course the wand also gets the same cover bonus as you have.

Last edited:

Shin Okada

Explorer
Don't forget that attacking a wand in your hand is a different from sundering. So even someone with Sunder feat provokes AoA from you.

mmu1

First Post
Shin Okada said:
Don't forget that attacking a wand in your hand is a different from sundering. So even someone with Sunder feat provokes AoA from you.

Or they would, if you threatened an area, but here you are, holding a wand... ;)

dkilgo

First Post
Re: Re: How difficult would it be to hit a wand?

AGGEMAM said:
You only forgot the +2 size bonus for being a tiny sized object.

Oh yeah, I forgot that! OOPS!

Where does it say that the item held would gain the same cover bonus as the character would? I would really like to know. Thanks.

Hygric

First Post
Sunder feat doesn't allow you to hit a wand? That seems a bit silly to me. I guess that it is what the rules say from a technical stand point, but really... if a fighter can try to break someone's dagger, why not a wand? Is it that different? :confused:

If one wanted to take it to the logical conclusion, you could sunder a staff that is enchanted as a weapon, but not a spell-staff. You can sunder a rod of alertness, but not a rod of cancellation etc etc.

Dash Dannigan

First Post
Hygric said:
If one wanted to take it to the logical conclusion, you could sunder a staff that is enchanted as a weapon, but not a spell-staff. You can sunder a rod of alertness, but not a rod of cancellation etc etc.

That makes sense. Afterall, they ARE using it as a weapon. The repeated strikes of weapon on weapon as they attempt to sunder their opponents weapon is far different from a wiz with a wand trying to play keep away from the big brauny barbarian. :D

AGGEMAM

First Post
Re: Re: Re: How difficult would it be to hit a wand?

dkilgo said:
Where does it say that the item held would gain the same cover bonus as the character would? I would really like to know. Thanks.

Logic dictates it. If you hide behind a tree you get a cover bonus to your AC, why should a wand be the only part of your equipment not affected by it ?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads