• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E How do I create an NPC Locksmith in 4e?

nittanytbone

First Post
Just give them a strong modifier in thievery (applicable only to locks), a name, and a personality.

Unless you anticipate the character being involved in a combat nothing else is required. This isn't like 3.5 where you need to build the character from the ground up ("Well, they have to be a Level 5 Expert with these magic items to have that modifier which gives them these saves..."). Only build what you need.

nittanytbone

First Post
Ummm...

Then you have two routes. The simple route is to grab an appropriate level/role monster from the MM and then "reskin" it. So, take some sort of humanoid and then just give it the great thievery (locks) modifier and move on with your life.

The other route is to use the NPC building rules to build some sort of NPC (possibly a rogue). I'd give them a large bonus to thievery (say, +5 or more) pertaining only to locks. That bonus can derive solely from DM Fiat. Or, if you like, part of the bonus could be a set of nice magic lockpicks for the PCs to capture or steal.

Is he a locksmith that is also good at combat, i.e. has he been adventuring/warring/trained?

If not use the stats for Human militia (lets assume as a freeman he has to spend time defending his town) change the wep if you want, with a thievery of whatever you think appropriate: +5/+15/+25/+35???

If he has decide how he fought, pick an appropriate human from the compendium (there are 307) reskin as required and you are off (after adding Thievery skill)

Eric888

First Post
Keep in mind that normal non-adventurer types are minions. If he is a great and legendary locksmith than he might be high level, but he is still probably a minion, so working up a lot of stats for him seems unnecessary.

If you want the fight to be a challenge though, just grab a level apropriate lurker and reskin him. Maybe give him the rogue template if you really want to work hard on it.

fba827

Adventurer
1) Do you expect him to fight? If no, all you need is "Sir Picks-a-lot, meticulous quiet man who talks to himself while picking a lock. Theivery +X" (where X is something appropriate to the level of the need)

2) If you do expect him to fight, is he a seasoned fighter compared to the PCs? If no, all you need is the above, plus call him a minion (1 hit point), and give him a basic attack "Pick Stab +X vs Ref; Y damage and slowed until end of targets next turn" (Yes, i'm just making this stuff up). And refer to the DMG for level appropriate, defenses, attack mod, and damage (consider him/her a skirmisher). Or maybe he is exemplary compared to the PCs (making him an elite or solo)

3) If you do expect him to fight and he is to be a worthy adversary, either a) take a monster manual creature like a goblin and reskin it to human (or whatever race). Or b) create your own (similar to #2 above, expect give him actual hit points). Or c) take a basic creature and apply a rogue template on him.

So, you already said you think he/she might be involved in combat. So that leads to the next question -- do you expect him/her to be a capable fighter compared to the PCs (this determines whether or not he/she is a minion, or maybe even an elite)? And around what level do you expect him/her to be (within a level of two of the PCs)?

StAlda

Explorer
I am not a fan of "the world is full of minions" idea. I like them from a combat mechanics point of view, for quicker combat, but if a "minion" is alone he get's bumped up to appropriate hit points. I know this will get all of the 4e fan's panties in a bunch, but I'll probbly just create a template (ala 3.5) commoner and expert templates. And then take that template at just modify what is needed for the particular NPC.

chitzk0i

Explorer
I am not a fan of "the world is full of minions" idea. I like them from a combat mechanics point of view, for quicker combat, but if a "minion" is alone he get's bumped up to appropriate hit points. I know this will get all of the 4e fan's panties in a bunch, but I'll probbly just create a template (ala 3.5) commoner and expert templates. And then take that template at just modify what is needed for the particular NPC.

He's probably a minion in the sense of "Please, no, that hurts so bad!" or "I have kids, don't hurt me!" i.e. gets cut and plays dead.

ValhallaGH

Explorer
Title says it all

Right. So, if the party is going to fight him, and you want him to last longer than one successful hit (I've watched a PC fight a single minion for 4+ rounds, repeatedly; poor guy seemed destined to have epic duels with minions) then build him exactly the same way you build any monster that needed a specific skill.

I.E. pick a combat role (default Skirmisher), give him appropriate hp (Con + X + level x X), appropriate defenses (Y & Z + level), appropriate attacks (Lock Picks: W + Level vs. Defense, d8+4 plus slow; Back to the Shop: Encounter, shift up to double your speed; can't shift past non-slowed enemies), and his trademark skill (Thievery 5 or 10 + Level + Dex).

And now you're done. Good luck.

Last edited:

Remove ads