• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How do I pronounce "vaginarius"?

Blackrat

He Who Lurks Beyond The Veil
Helmet said:
That's how I was pronouncing it originally, but Blackrat's posts indicatad that the As are wrong. They need to rhyme with bay, not bag, if I'm understanding him correctly.
Actually the A in bag would be closer. Then again, I might pronounce english words completely wrong :heh:.

EDIT: I figured out an analogy for the A. It's pronounced the same way as A in name Arthur. The first A quite short while the second is bit longer.

Last edited:

Helmet

First Post
Blackrat said:
Actually the A in bag would be closer. Then again, I might pronounce english words completely wrong :heh:.

EDIT: I figured out an analogy for the A. It's pronounced the same way as A in name Arthur. The first A quite short while the second is bit longer.

Ah! Thanks!

Alzrius said:
My natural inclination is to pronounce it "vah-jin-AIR-ee-us."

I understand that the Latin pronunciation may be different, but that doesn't necessarily correlate to an English reading.

Oh, that's interesting. Maybe the word doesn't have to be pronounced in the same way it was originally pronounced? Like when a say san serif, I don't pronounce it sahn suh REEF. I anglocize it. Hmmm.

When I (try to) pronounce vaginarius correctly within a sentence, it does sound odd to my ear. The effect reminds me of the "99 Red Balloons" song, German version. You hear all those German words and then suddenly the singer says "Captain Kirk."

Hm. Right now I am thinking it might be better for my listeners to hear the word anglocized, so it won't be as much of a distraction in the midst of dialogue.

Blackrat

Helmet said:
Hm. Right now I am thinking it might be better for my listeners to hear the word anglocized, so it won't be as much of a distraction in the midst of dialogue.
That is probably one of the best solutions ;).

Helmet

First Post
That settles it. If Alzrius suggests it, and the word-pronouncer-guy suggests it, then that's what I'm going to do!

Vaginarius is gettin' anglocized!

Thanks, guys! :D

Blackrat

You know, it's not like anyone is going to bitch about you pronouncing it wrong anyway, unless you happen to speak with a latin teacher :D. If you say it roughly the same way you say Sagitarius and majority of people around where-ever you live say that the same way as you do, it should sound right to them.

MonkeyDragon

Explorer
Interesting tidbit that may or may not be a clue:

The word for lady parts is derived from the word for sheath, so the similarity is not a coincidence.

Ranger REG

Explorer
MonkeyDragon said:
Interesting tidbit that may or may not be a clue:

The word for lady parts is derived from the word for sheath, so the similarity is not a coincidence.
Well, that changed my perspective when it comes to the following punchline: "Is that a longsword in there or are you happy to see me?"

Galethorn

First Post
From what I've read, the anatomical term came from its use in lewd jokes by roman legionnaires, which eventually led to its use as a more general slang term.

Remove ads