• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How do I pronounce "vaginarius"?

Helmet

First Post
A vaginarius is a maker of sheathes and scabbards--a profession during the Middle Ages. I've looked and looked, but I can't find the pronunciation on the internet.

I'm guessing it's pronounced vah JINN air ee us. But it might have a hard G, or a long A, or who knows what.

Anybody know?

Blackrat

He Who Lurks Beyond The Veil
Helmet said:
But it might have a hard G, or a long A, or who knows what.
Actually it would be both. VA-(hard G)i-n(half-long A)-rius. I don't know the how you write pronounciation in english so that unfortunatily the best I can do to help.

Helmet

First Post
Ooo! THANKS!

Hm, that's a little tricky to pronounce. I have been pronouncing it wrong far too long and my tongue doesn't want to re-learn it.

Just to clarify...

VAY...rhymes with bay.
gih...as in the word "gift," but without the "ft."
NAY...rhymes with bay.
ree...rhymes with bee.
us...rhymes with bus.

The second A is long, but spoken quicker than the first. And the 1st and 3rd syllables are accented.

Is that right?

Relique du Madde

Adventurer
Beavis and Butthead would pronounce it "heh heh heh heh that was cool"

Now, I'm not Italian, so I have no clue on how it would be pronounced although I do think I know how the stereotypical English speaking Italian would pronounce it. But since the rat lives in Europe, I'll trust his pronunciation.

Blackrat

He Who Lurks Beyond The Veil
No. Let's see.

Va - the first A is short. It would rhyme with bay but without y and more soft.
Gi - as in gin (the alcohol) but without the n.
Naa - a long A, but not very long. Somewhat half-long. Hard to explain :heh:.
re - rhymes with "bee" but much shorter.
us - rhymes with "use" without the ending.

Oh, and this is totally based on how it would be pronounced in modern understanding of latin. I'm only amateur linguist so I can't promise that this is 100% correct.

Helmet

First Post
Awesome. Thanks for the extra pronunciation guide. I think I'm pronouncing vaginarius right, at long last.

Much thanks for your help! :D

Helmet

First Post
Dioltach said:
Here's an easier way: it's like Sagitarius, but with some different consonants.

That's how I was pronouncing it originally, but Blackrat's posts indicatad that the As are wrong. They need to rhyme with bay, not bag, if I'm understanding him correctly.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
My natural inclination is to pronounce it "vah-jin-AIR-ee-us."

I understand that the Latin pronunciation may be different, but that doesn't necessarily correlate to an English reading.

Remove ads