• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E How do you feel about 4E right *now*? (week of 1/21/08)

How do you rate 4E based on what we know at this time?

• Thumbs up?

Votes: 406 70.2%
  • Thumbs down?

Votes: 172 29.8%

Jorunkun

First Post
Big thumbs up, after quite some initial scepticism. Races and Classes really sold me on the redesign; I think this will be the best incarnation of D&D yet.

Aeolius

Adventurer
Steely Dan said:
But what if it has really awesome aquatic rules and fluff?

Once 4e has the equivalent to Stormwrack, Savage Species, and the Greyhawk Gazetteer, I might take another look.

There's another thread around here regarding the lack of sea serpents in Monster Manuals. It states " I read this post and thought, Man, that is weird . I talked to James about it and he says he'll make it happen for the first MM after we have robust aquatic rules ( DMG2 maybe? No promises! ). " and was posted by WotC Logan ( Logan Bonner, Mechanical Designer, Dungeons & Dragons, Wizards of the Coast ). So perhaps it will be sooner, rather than later.

Last edited:

EATherrian

First Post
I'm still directly in the middle. I need to see actual mechanics. I think they're doing a great job with the story-line / world building that they've done, but I mostly design my own world. So, until I actually see the rules I'll have to say I'm neither thumbs up or thumbs down.

SteveC

Doing the best imitation of myself
Mouseferatu said:
I'm sold--not just as a writer, but as a fan of the game who's been playing since 1983.
I just wanted to say thanks for writing this: it means a lot to me, since I've liked a lot of the things you've designed before.

Now the game had REALLY better not suck.

;)

But I voted thumbs up, in any case.

--Steve

Steely Dan

Banned
Banned
broghammerj said:
Thumbs down....digital initiative I am looking at you!

What does that have to do with the 4th ED books/game?

It is completely optional and unnecessary for play.

Can people stop with that one…?

Tiberius

Explorer
Thumbs down. I'm contemplating evolving more thumbs for the sole purpose of pointing them down. It's like they're actively trying to drive me away. No Vancian magic? Mucking about with wizards? Attack rolls for area spells like fireball? Reducing the number of magic items? Per-encounter balancing? Fiat monsters? All major negatives for me. I guess I'm destined to only like odd-numbered editions of the game. :-/

Well, I could always go back to Vampire and Mage, like I did after being turned off by 2e.

Edit: Upon reflection, that I have taken such a dislike to what we've seen so far is saddening. I was really excited upon the announcement of 4e, but all that has disappeared. I just get the sense that someone hung a big "Not FOR you!" sign on the new edition.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads