D&D 5E How do you feel about the Forgotten Realms?

What is your attitude toward the Forgotten Realms?

• Poll closed .

Ragmon

Explorer
I like the world, but I dislike how rigid the world is due to the fact that Greenwood and Salvatore can move beyond there initial characters.

HERE BE RANT:
Explanation: 4E came and forced them to move on with their characters by introducing the spellplague and ~100 years advancement in the timeline. They did bother to adept and create new characters, new epic story lines. But instead they chose to plan a retcon after 4E. Thus we will get a Sundering, undoing the spellplague, most likely.

Just let Mystra finally die, let Elminster die of old age, show us how Drizzt moves on as all of his old companions pass on of old age. Tell us interesting stories of war and intrigue between certain countries. Permanently move some borders, build up new interesting leaders and rulers. Show us the rise of new cults, religions and organizations....

No, we will just get the same old, Mystra, Elminster, Drizzt stories...

"Game of Thrones" up Faerune...make it interesting...make it dynamic...realistic...instead of static.
(I had these thoughts way before I knew of Game of Thrones) :)

Jan van Leyden

Adventurer
Back in the days I used to like the Realms, but never ran a game in it. It was a nice change having more details than for the '83 Greyhawk set.

Come the 2nd edition mass of books and the myriads of novels, it became unmanageable. When thinking about starting a new campaign and considering FR as setting, I didn't even know what to read and how to run a game.

Furthermore, a huge gap would have opened between GM and player knowledge about the world; none of my players was much interested in reading up on game world stuff. Now I could have used one of the basic Camapign Settings for my purposes, but what would I have gained compared to Greyhawk?

During 3rd edition times I ran three campaigns in the Realms, none of it diving into the deep pool of knowledge available. I'm sure none of the players noticed any deviation from the canon, and not for me sticking to it. :D

One campaign I tried to make FR-specific, placing it around Silverymoon, and focusing on FR stuff of the region: search for a priest, were-creatures, Hosttower of the Arcane in Luskan, the orc king (Obuld Many-Eyes?). Sadly, this camapign didn't last long.

I read the 4e version of the Campaign Setting, finding it fresh and interesting. The actual games I ran took place in POLand and Ptolus, though.

JWO

First Post
I initially got into D&D via the Baldur's Gate/Icewind Dale games and the Forgotten Realms novels so I think I'll always have a fondness for it!

Midknightsun

Explorer
Yeah, I'm pretty "meh" about the whole thing, so I could take it or leave it. It doesn't light my world on fire or anything. That has nothing to do with the changes between editions, I just never liked how "overcrowded" it always felt. We are using it as the default for our HotDQ campaign, but I am looking at other settings (or maybe my own homebrew) with a bit more flavor for our next campaign

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
Dislike it and almost hating it, found it too detailed and humanized. As a DM, I wanted a campaign setting that allowed me to have some wiggle room to work in my stuff.

I liked the old Gazetteers, so much better.

Sigbjorn_86

First Post
The quality of the Forgotten Realms totally depends on the author or developer handling it. Many people got into it because of the Icewind Dale or Baldur's Gate series, which made FR seems mysterious and deadly. Paul S. Kemp's books took a relatively boring section of FR (Sembia), made them fun, and shook things up. It's hard to judge the quality of the 4E realms sadly, because authors like Salvatore spent the entire time having their hero sulk, emo-style. The Drizzt books have always been hit or miss, but the 4E era books were easily the worst.

The biggest problem with the Spellplague, if anything, is that it came at a time when the setting was trying to move forward. Whether it was the Shadovar taking over Sembia, or the Kingdom of Many Arrows moving away from the Tolkien-esque trope that Orcs are innately evil. The realms were finally starting to mature. And with the Sundering, many of these changes have or seemingly will be retconned.

Erin Evans is easily the best new author. She wisely chooses to keep her novels character-focused, rather than on realm-shaking events.

Mercurius

Legend
How would you define it? What is the Realms' distinct vibe and in what way is it different from generic D&D's vibe, in your opinion?

Well the thing about "distinct vibe" is that it can only really be described by itself, so the Realms' distinct vibe is "Realmsian" - it is just the feeling of the Forgotten Realms, from Waterdeep and Khelben Arunsun to Anauroch to the Dalelands and the Zhentarim, to the Harpers and Selune's Tears. The distinctness isn't obvious like, for instance, Tekumel or Talislanta. It is relatively subtle, or at least more so than more obviously unique or exotic settings. But distinctness need not be obvious, just as originality need not be blatantly novel.

It is also worth noting that the Forgotten Realms has probably been a greater influence on fantasy settings over the last 20-25 years than any other setting. Some would retort, "But Greyhawk!" But I think the Realms has had a bigger impact.

Doug McCrae

Legend
The main problem is that the forces of good are too powerful. FR power levels were always too high generally, NPC levels being about 10-15 higher than Greyhawk, even in the 1e grey box version. This has the, almost certainly intentional, effect of making the world impervious to PC action. It's a world where the innkeeper is a 12th level fighter and his teenage daughter is a 4th level ranger. There's a strong impetus to use high level NPCs such as Elminster as the cavalry riding over the hill to save the PCs when they get into trouble. Players, in my experience, almost always hate that.

Flavour-wise, FR is another sub-Tolkeinesque world, like Greyhawk and Dragonlance, but it's a Middle-earth set in the 4th age where the good guys have won. It's a fantasy version of Canada where there are no real threats and author stand-in NPCs in their 60s have sex with the ever-youthful goddess of magic while throwing the PCs a cheeky wink.

There are two ways, I think, you could make FR work:
1) PCs are the bad guys. Their enemies are Elminster and his harem.
2) The players have some kind of meta-resource they can use to summon Elminster et al.

Gargoyle

Adventurer
I can take it or leave it. My issues with it are:

- It's overdeveloped. Even lands like Sembia that were supposed to be left alone (per the gray box) were still developed. Novels, comics, etc, it's just too big and detailed. I never can feel like I'm an expert on the setting, and as a DM I like to feel like I could be, but with FR I wouldn't have the time.
- Cultural mapping to the real world annoys me. Pseudo western Europe is here, Japan is over there, China over here, Mongols there, the middle east is down here. There is some of this in any setting, and my current Birthright game is almost as bad about it, but I think the FR is too straightforward with it, and I'd prefer to see more cultural originality like Eberron, where the inspiration of real world cultures is there but not so overt.
- The constant reboots of the world are annoying to deal with. I dislike regular cataclysmic events that reshape the lore to match the most recent version of the D&D rules. Why can't they just quietly retcon things such as saying "tieflings and dragonborn always existed on Toril, just like many other creatures you have yet to encounter...they are just now becoming prominent as adventurers." No, they have to have world shaking pantheon changes, etc.

I like that there are a lot of beautiful maps out there for it. I like that those maps are big. I like that just about anything in D&D is in the world, so if I want the whole D&D experience it's there. I think some of the villainous factions are pretty good (drow, Zhentarim, Red Wizards). I like that WotC chose to support it so directly in the PHB. I like that it's supported in adventures and supplements, and that if I want some lore, it isn't hard to find.

So I've clearly got mixed feelings about it, but I guess to sum it up, I don't want to run it, wouldn't mind playing in it.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases