D&D 5E How do you feel about the Forgotten Realms?

What is your attitude toward the Forgotten Realms?

• Poll closed .

Boarstorm

First Post
I find it kind of boring, honestly.

I like my worlds to either be edgier (Dark Sun, maybe some aspects of Birthright) or more Pulpy (Spelljammer, Eberron).

I realize the two don't mix.

Joe Liker

First Post
I voted "like."

I love it as a setting for novels, but I'm neutral about playing in the setting. I don't like DMing in the setting because there's too much homework involved.

ranger69

Explorer
This is a much-loved setting, and has a had a massive influence on D&D. However, it would not be my first choice for a campaign. However, being time poor, I may have to use the Realms because that seems to be where the current WOTC campaign books are set.

CubeB

Explorer
Meh.

My favorite thing about the Forgotten Realms is that it interfaces directly with Planescpae without any effort, but then that applies to most D&D campaign settings.

I prefer settings like Planescape or Eberron. Or failing that, making my own setting. With blackjack.

There's way, way, way too much magic for my liking.

Spellcasters are supposed to be rare in a world, and exponentially more rare as they increase in power. Forgotten Realms has a city that's run by an entire council of epic level wizards, and that is just one example of how the setting is over saturated with magic. I just can't get into it.

casterblaster

First Post
I never understood why people get so hung up on the cannon. Play with or ignore it. I get that some players are familiar with it and could possibly contradict the DM's vision, but your the DM make it yours. Im lucky enough to DM for a couple of casual gamers who never cracked a source book or novel open. I also don't feel like there's a lot of homework involved with it. I have the 94 box set, skimmed the 3e core book, and gasped at 4e. High level NPCs? I see it as a way to keep PCs who want to destroy a town in check, and if I don't want them to be higher level they wont be. I like the Realms it what I started playing in and its the type of world I want to run my games in.

Agamon

Adventurer
I like it because it's "generic D&D". If I play D&D, I want to play in a D&D setting. If I want to play in a not-D&D setting, I'll not play D&D, but play something else. Too many great RPGs out there to just keep trying to reinvent D&D by trying to stick it in a non-D&D-shaped hole.

sgtscott658

First Post
This......

I never understood why people get so hung up on the cannon. Play with or ignore it. I get that some players are familiar with it and could possibly contradict the DM's vision, but your the DM make it yours. Im lucky enough to DM for a couple of casual gamers who never cracked a source book or novel open. I also don't feel like there's a lot of homework involved with it. I have the 94 box set, skimmed the 3e core book, and gasped at 4e. High level NPCs? I see it as a way to keep PCs who want to destroy a town in check, and if I don't want them to be higher level they wont be. I like the Realms it what I started playing in and its the type of world I want to run my games in.

I plan to do the same in my campaign, plus I am using the 3.x FRCS for my campaign, so this HotDQ will be set before the sundering. As the DM it is my version of FR, not novels or later editions. <cough 4E cough>

Anyway, I like FR for the detailed locations and cool names like Cormyr or Neverwinter or Waterdeep. Each with some very colorful NPC's. I remember from a campaign I ran several years ago in FR, the Players met Elminster, I RP'ed him as a Jack Nickleson type from Anger Management. That was fun.

Scott

Remove ads