• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How do you guys handle Snese Motive?

Aus_Snow

First Post
RAW here. However, I err somewhat in favour of players taking the initiative, as per Shin Okada. Not to quite the same extent, perhaps, but for much the same reason, I imagine.

For the rolling problem, I suggest rolling tons of d20s (e-dice might be even better for this) some time prior to the session, writing (or typing) them as a list, and keeping that list [hidden and] handy during your time DMing. Go down the list for all the secret rolls you need. And hey, even if you do run out, just start at the top again.

pawsplay

Hero
In my games, if a player asks for one, I roll a Sense Motive check for them. I do not assume they get a Sense Motive check any time someone lies. I do not let them know they rolled.

roguerouge

First Post
I allow it when my player asks for it (after a minute of conversation) or when a bluff check needs to be made, such as a lie. A misleading truth or an omitted truth, however, requires an active player to spot. Really, in a mystery, your problems have more to do with Glibness, Zone of Truth, Speak with Dead, Detect Evil and the like.

Thanee

First Post
If it is mostly a question to hide the rolls, a simple trick will do that for you... just roll a number of d20s before the game and write the numbers down, then go through the list for all secret rolls you do, instead of rolling.

Bye
Thanee

irdeggman

First Post
From PHB

Sense Motive

"Check: A successful check lets you avoid being bluffed. You can also use this skill to determine when "something is up" (that is, soemthing odd is going on) or to assess someone's trustworthyness. Your DM may decided to make your Sense Motive check secretly, so that you don't necessarily know whether or not you were successful."

Bluff

"Check: A Bluff check is opposed by the target's Sense Motive check."

Note that while Bluff is always an opposed roll Sense Motive is not and that Sense Motive rolls may be made by the DM in secret (at least for the unopposed checks).

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him) 🇺🇦🇵🇸🏳️‍⚧️
Depending on the results of the Sense Motive check, I'll tell the player "He seems to be trustworth" "He seems pretty sincere in what he's saying" - of course, they still might not have caught the bluff.
If they see through the bluff, I'll give other clues "You can tell he's not telling you everything" "He's evading your eye for some reason" "You can see through him like glass. He's a crummy liar".

aboyd

Explorer
At the start of any session when the group has leveled up, I ask them each for 5 sense motive, listen, & spot rolls. I write them down and use them secretly. So THEY controlled the rolls, but they have no idea when they are applied.

NewJeffCT

First Post
I seem to be in a minority here but I will let PCs use Sense Motive check only when players asks so. And I allow it even when NPCs are not lying. And if Sense Motive check is reasonably high (usually 10+), I say the NPC seems to be not lying.

I tend to lean towards this as well, though I'll sometimes ask if they want to Sense Motive...

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
If it is mostly a question to hide the rolls, a simple trick will do that for you... just roll a number of d20s before the game and write the numbers down, then go through the list for all secret rolls you do, instead of rolling.

Bye
Thanee

You can also program a graphing calculator using random number generation to simulate a d20 (or any sized die) roll. Then, you just need a DM screen to hide your hand, and they won't even know when you're rolling.

Allegro

First Post
This is one of those truly annoying aspects about 3.5. Most 20th characters are less able to tell if an NPC is lying then a 1st level bard. I'm playing with a cleric who would like to tell a fib or two but is stymied because he doesn't have any ranks in bluff but he has plenty of ranks in diplomacy. The DM generally asks for a bluff roll every time my bard lies about something. This discourages other players from roll playing because they are scared of rolling low on the untrained skill check. Additionally, sense Motive skill ckecks have to be requested. I do like the system where the DM asks the players to make 5 spot, and sense motive checks before playing. This avoid the "I think I failed a sense motive" comments.

When I DM, I have a rule of no skill checks PC vs PC. So no slight of hands, diplomancy, sense motives and bluff. I've personally struggled with how to role play as player knowing a rogue was using slight of hands to steal from the group but nobody being able to beat his skill check. Eventually the characters should become aware of this even if they can never beat a spot check.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads