How do you handle evil?

Well how do you handle it?

• I'm okay with players choosing any alignment.

Votes: 30 42.9%
  • I think players who choose an evil alignment are edgelords/wangrods.

Votes: 11 15.7%
  • I don't understand how a player can make an evil character with in my campaign.

Votes: 8 11.4%
  • Evil? I think evil is so fun I've made evil campaigns set in mostly evil worlds.

Votes: 8 11.4%
  • I throw up my hands at alignment because the players are all murderhobos anyways.

Votes: 6 8.6%
  • I just don't find evil all that fun.

Votes: 38 54.3%

Interesting take. Is this based on readings of alignment (any edition) or just something you came up with? (Its perfectly ok to be your take I'm just interested how you got there.)
I guess it's because otherwise all fantasy heroes would be evil. Since I'd like more literary options than Galahad, and because I always liked Warhammer's stance that Neutral was the default alignment, instead of the nearly unplayable mess of AD&D.

Scruffy nerf herder

Toaster Loving AdMech Boi
They can't both be The Punisher simultaneously and differently. The MCU version is not the same as the comic version, which you've admitted.

Utterly false. Don't put words in my mouth. Your assumptions of my intentions are pretty bad, so if you're unclear, ask. You're a fan of the real MCU Punisher and that's fine.

Ultimately, though, the difference isn't relevant to this conversation. Both are evil. A serial murderer is evil no matter what his reasons.

Ugh... So it's just another debate over semantics.

Scruffy nerf herder

They... can though? Hades in Percy Jackson and the Olympians is a VERY different version of the mythological character than Hades in Disney's Hercules, which is a very different version than Hades in SuperGiantGames' Hades. They're not the same version of the character, but that doesn't mean any of them beyond the original 'worshipped in ancient Greece' (and even that one had a lot of different versions) are fake Hades.

Can't really argue with you here. Personally, every exposure I've had to The Punisher has left me with the impression that he's just a hyper-masculine revenge fantasy with a veneer of Good Guy polish on top to make him acceptable to the masses.

That's one of the issues I have with the whole debate, honestly. What counts a "Good" or "Evil" gets more and more nebulous the further into the weeds you get. Is killing someone evil when you know that killing them will save more lives at that exact moment (killing a suicide bomber before they can detonate)? What about killing someone when you know that killing them will save more lives down the line (killing someone who intends to become a suicide bomber)? On what criteria are you basing that assessment on?

In Frank Castle's case, I could easily argue that the character is evil, as vigilante murder is his immediate solution, and he never seems to actually care about proactively protecting or reforming people, just killing those he decided are bad. He's not motivated by helping people, but hurting them. But then, I can't say that's true of every version of the character.

I mean you could always try Nihilism and Absurdism, works pretty swell for accepting that these questions (what are good, evil, "beautiful", why does a cookie taste so dang good and a raw onion so dang bad) can't be answered because there are no answers 😉

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
I typically use the Law/Chaos only axis of alignment as presented in Original D&D (1974), so it isn't usually an issue for me. On the rare occasions that I use the all out alignment spectrum, I usually only restrict characters from choosing Chaotic Evil as an alignment (because in 20+ years of playing D&D, I've never seen anybody choose that alignment not turn out to be a total jerk).

Scruffy nerf herder

The reason it's illegal, is that it's immoral. Murder is immoral, regardless of reason.

I don't believe he ever knew true love. He modeled it after a fashion, but he screwed up things badly for everyone he "loved" because he wasn't capable of true understanding.

I didn't see it.

Really? The last time I checked basically all of world history, the only reason something is illegal one time and legal another is a complete historical accident, a product of the times. They could chop your hand off in public for being a thief in medieval Europe, heck there was a guy in the 20th century who asked for trial by combat because Parliament forgot to ummm... get rid of feudalism, lmfao.

Moral? Immoral? When has that stopped people from making wacky laws?

Scruffy nerf herder

I wouldn't call assisted suicide evil, and "purposefully killing their patients" is pretty much the description of a doctor whose job is to employ lethal injections. :)

What I find interesting is you describe a character as neutral who is doing actions you deem evil. To me, Neutral isn't just a transitory alignment between good and evil, requiring a balancing act of good and evil deeds to maintain. It's its own thing, so I would not make a statement that "Neutral characters commit evil acts". Neutral characters act in Neutral ways.

This! Double stamp and triple stamp it! Take a screenshot! Somebody online understands that there are neutral actions too, quick, get the president on the phone!

Remove ads