How do you handle social skills in D&D?

Stalker0

Legend
My group just started a new 4e planescape game, and we are trying a radical approach to social skills we have never done before. Here's the gist, we just started using this system, so it will tweaked and polished a lot as we go.

Social Skills: For the most part, social skills are no longer skill rolls. Your skill score provides you cards that give you concrete benefits in the game. Social skills are rolled occasionally for minor things, but overall social encounters do not use rolls.

FLAVOR

To our group, the idea was that social skill isn't just about a quick roll, it affects your whole background.

Diplomacy - This guy isn't just a good talker. He's going to have friends in key places, and people will offer him facts and information.

Bluff - Not just a great liar, but a person who has built up a legacy of misinformation, rumors, and duplicity. Lies so good they carry around with him, working in his favor actively and passively.

Insight - A good insight allows a person to pick up concrete info about a person on the spot. In addition, they can piece together several conversations to gain a big revelation.

MECHANICS

Bluff - Gain a number of bluff cards depending on your bluff skill (see below) PER ADVENTURE. Unused bluff cards are expended after each adventure.

1-4: 1 card
5-9: 2 cards
10-14: 3 cards
15-19: 4 cards
etc

Uses of bluff (each costs 1 bluff card)
1) beginning of adventure. Can create a rumor or alter a fact. Can be broad and generally powerful. Lasts the adventure. EX. My character has joined the band of brothers. My sword struck the final blow against Olgaroth the demon.
2) during an encounter. Same as 1, but lasts the encounter.
3) at any time to instantly change a fact or knowledge. Can be countered by insight cards (but additional bluff cards can be spent to sell the lie)

Diplomacy/Intimidate/Streetwise - Skills combined into one (type of skill only affect the "flavor" of how you get your bonuses, aka I'm friendly, I'm scary, or I know a guy who knows a guy. Having skill in more than one of these skills has no benefit.

Cards are gained just like bluff, except they are not lost after each adventure. Further, diplomacy cards have specific uses shown on the card.

1) Ally Card: Allies can provide some general information and small favors, no charge. The ally card can be expended to acquire a large favor from the ally.
2) Info Card: Spend the card to gain critical information about something.

Insight: Gain like Bluff, except they are acquired in each important social encounter, and lost at the end of the encounter. There are two kinds of cards you can get.

1) Mood: Gain info about the mood or motive of the person.
2) Info: Gain a piece of information about the person you are speaking with.
3) Any insight card can be expended to counter a bluff card used on the spot.

Last edited:

Ahnehnois

First Post
The d20 system is a task resolution system. I roll when there's a task and there's a question whether or not it would be accomplished. In conversation, I talk freely until the players say something that I'm not sure how the NPC will react to. I roll the appropriate skill. If an NPC doesn't have any reason to doubt or to believe the PCs (Bluff) or care about what they're saying or do what they want (Diplo) I don't roll. I can't recall having any big problems in this arena.

I also take requests from players in advance (e.g. "I'm bluffing the guard") assuming I agree with the player's rationale for applying the skill.

S'mon

Legend
The d20 system is a task resolution system. I roll when there's a task and there's a question whether or not it would be accomplished. In conversation, I talk freely until the players say something that I'm not sure how the NPC will react to. I roll the appropriate skill. If an NPC doesn't have any reason to doubt or to believe the PCs (Bluff) or care about what they're saying or do what they want (Diplo) I don't roll. I can't recall having any big problems in this arena.

I also take requests from players in advance (e.g. "I'm bluffing the guard") assuming I agree with the player's rationale for applying the skill.

This is a good description of my approach too, and I agree that the d20 system is for task resolution.

Remove ads