D&D 5E How do you hope WotC treats the upcoming classic settings?

thank you for making my point about why darksun & every other non-fr/gh clone would only made worse by suggesting the similarity with a thing so deeply linked to FR's lore. You literally named one plane & effectively referenced a second one that are not part of eberron's cosmology both of which require a very different spin on alignment to describe khyber. It's the sort of innocent question that forces a long "what khyber is not" tangent rather than "here's what khyber is" simple description
I am pretty sure I did not do that, you kind of made a wild leap. What I said does not matter to Alignment.
I said Khyber is like the Underdark plus it has traits of the Abyss and Hell (More the Aybss then Hell). Those planes are not in Eberron, but Khyber has traits from them. Namely the seemingly endless nature, being home to a bunch of pocket realities that tend to be awful, and being the source of most of Eberron’s fiends and some of it’s biggest baddest villains.

This describes Khyber fine.

pming

Legend
Hiya.
I wasn't aware that WotC went to every fans house, rounded up every copy of the older material, and burned it all. Last I checked I still have shelves full of the stuff. History is still there. Adding to or updating D&D settings for new fans isn't losing our history. All the old printed stuff is still there. Most of it is still available as PDFs from the DMs Guild. We're losing nothing. We're gaining something.
Nope. Not house to house...only Forum to Forum.
;)

It's like when Drizz't was killed by Elminster because Elminster accidentally messed up the spell Drizz't wanted cast on him to change his gender.

What? That didn't happen? Well, it could have in the "updated version" of the FR. I'm sure that nobody would get upset over that... I mean, Drizz't should be able to do what he/she wants and Elminster is just a human...he can screw up spells, it's not like he's extra special simply because he's a white male. Right..? Besides, it's not like all the older stuff isn't still there. You can keep using that.

^_^

Paul L. Ming

Scribe

Legend
Whether they mention it or not, it'll still be canonically connected.

And we all have to live with that -dirty- feeling...

Or not, for those of us who don't feel it.
The entire basis of my life is denial of things I wish did not exist.

Add one more thing that isnt actually mentioned and those are the easy ones. ;)

Hiya.

;)

It's like when Drizz't was killed by Elminster because Elminster accidentally messed up the spell Drizz't wanted cast on him to change his gender.

What? That didn't happen? Well, it could have in the "updated version" of the FR. I'm sure that nobody would get upset over that... I mean, Drizz't should be able to do what he/she wants and Elminster is just a human...he can screw up spells, it's not like he's extra special simply because he's a white male. Right..? Besides, it's not like all the older stuff isn't still there. You can keep using that.

^_^

Paul L. Ming
I would not be bothered by that, I presume Elminster and Drizzt’s friends would have gotten him rezed. Though I don’t think the two of them even know each other.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Hiya.

;)

What? That didn't happen? Well, it could have in the "updated version" of the FR.
So what? Drizzle is an obnoxiously overused character anyway. Better to do something to fix the sausage party of D&D characters. If not, sure, kill him off and move on. The death of a fictional character is some game book doesn't matter. You can ignore it. You can wait until it's retconned six months later. Why bother getting mad about it? Nothing forces you to accept some new piece of information into your personal head canon.
I'm sure that nobody would get upset over that...
Who cares? "Fans" rage about everything all the time no matter what anyway. Engage with the things you enjoy and ignore the things you don't. It's not hard. You don't like the updates to an older setting WotC is putting out, ignore it. There. Done. No problem.
I mean, Drizz't should be able to do what he/she wants and Elminster is just a human...he can screw up spells...
Not according to most versions of D&D. There's basically zero chance for spell failure.
it's not like he's extra special simply because he's a white male. Right..? Besides, it's not like all the older stuff isn't still there. You can keep using that.
What the hell are you talking about? Whatever windmill you're tilting at isn't part of this conversation.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
So far Ravenloft is the only horror-specific setting I've run (although I find horror eventually creeps into anything I run), and I've rarely had the opportunity to even play in a horror game. I've never run "weekend in hell" Ravenloft and I've always had the default for the players that they are native to one of the domains (although they can choose to be an outlander if hey wish).

But anyway, for the most part, it doesn't really matter to me that VGR rewrote a bunch of earlier Ravenloft canon. A lot of the new stuff is cool, so I combine it with what's I liked from the earlier editions. And I think that they kept the themes for the domains pretty well, even if the particulars are often different. Like, Borca and Dementlieu are still sufficiently decadent, and it's still limited to the upper class for Borca and Dementlieu is still beset by rumor, scandal, and lies. OK, Ivan isn't going to be pretending to be a Totally Normal Person until he whisks you away to his Joker-esque Funhouse of Doom anymore, but he's a different type of really creepy, and I like that. I like that Ivana is actively involved in alchemy and business instead of just pining after men now. I'm glad that rapey darklords like Dominic got replaced. Valachan is a bit weird now, what with the displacer beasts, but it was always weird and was always hunt-based.

I even like the idea that every domain is an island. It allows me a bit more freedom to move people around more (I always felt having the Mists come and snatch people away was a bit much; here, people can choose to leave the map and go elsewhere), and I have already decided that there are Mistway roads that can be taken to travel mostly safely from one domain to the next in an orderly fashion (as long as you don't leave the road, of course!), thus allowing for a modicum of trade and travel.

Honestly, the only bits I really wish they had included from before were a fleshed-out Vechor, Shadow Rift, Nidala, and the various religions. (Yes, I know that the Rift and Nidala are mentioned, but only in passing.)
But those are just the new things you're talking about. What did you like about the setting before? You said you were an old fan, but you've only referenced the things you liked that were changed. I dont understand why you were a fan in the 90s. Just the religions and couple of domains?

Faolyn

(she/her)
But those are just the new things you're talking about. What did you like about the setting before? You said you were an old fan, but you've only referenced the things you liked that were changed. I dont understand why you were a fan in the 90s. Just the religions and couple of domains?
I liked the setting as a whole. I liked how reading the Black Box inspired me with fascinating images, and how those images only grew as new supplements were written. I liked how, even with as little description they were given, each domain gave me a different feeling, and how each domain was expanded upon and made into a living, breathing place in 3x. I liked how the Van Richten's Guides and Children of the Night inspired me to create interesting monsters with interesting backgrounds and created creatures that weren't just statblocks. I liked how cool and weird and horrific the monsters were (even if many of them were also silly or pointless). I liked the concept of the Mists and Dark Powers as eldritch entities of unknown purpose and intent playing games with everyone's lives and warping the land with such evil it changed even the ways magic worked. I liked the idea of nonhumans being more myth than reality, unlike every other setting.

That help?

Remove ads