How Do You One-Shot?

GMMichael

Guide of Modos

I have no idea how the Cast of Thrones game finished, but it seems that everyone had a good time at it! It seemed to use the standard formula: hey you, do this, and report back to me. Which is straight-forward, but it doesn't provide for much cohesion or originality. Are these necessary in a one-shot game?

I've been using pre-generated characters for one-shot games, which gives me the chance to add some character goals and relationships. I can run just about any type of quest I want with those in place, at the cost of player dissatisfaction with character customization. I also like to check in on each player, even (especially) interrupting jokesters who aren't actively role-playing, to make sure everyone is feeling included.

One-shot games:
What types of plot do you use?
Are there character requirements?
How do you keep the game on track?

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
For my one-shots, they're almost always adventure locations (e.g. dungeons) that are larger than can be completed in a single session and include a number of randomized elements (e.g. wandering monsters, weather, treasure, factions, etc.). The reason I do this is because it increases replayability, given that I will often run the same one-shot over and over for different groups or sometimes even the same players with different characters. Whatever the PCs do in the allotted session time is what they do. The players often like to hear how they did compared to other groups.

I don't generally run event-based adventures for one-shots since that requires too much force in my experience to get done in the allotted time, plus all the other weirdness that comes with running plots the players are expected to stay on. The best setup here in my view is to have a big start and big end and mutable scenes in between that can be modified or taken out easily if the group is running short on time without greatly impacting the final scene. Still, I will almost always go with a location-based adventure.

aco175

Legend
I like one-shots when I make PCs rather than have people bring one. This may be more with strangers since my normal group likes to make a PC. I like to to equip the PCs with gear that would come in handy in certain places along the adventure, but not absolute to continue the adventure in case they use something before needed.

I also start one-shots at the place or in the action. I handwave the getting the quest part and travel to the place. There may be 10 minutes going over PCs and 10 minutes intro to the adventure, but then it starts.

I tend to write my one-shots around one location, with plenty of different paths that the players can take. I want to be surprised as a DM, so I give my players a lot of options, so I don't know what they'll do next. This makes it more fun to run the same adventure with other people. It is kind of like a miniature sandbox, but confined.

My one-shots are usually too big to be completed in one sitting, but that's okay. As long as everyone had fun, then it doesn't matter that we didn't reach the end. I want my one-shots to be big enough that the players never hit the edges of what I have prepared. What does matter, is that during the limited time that we play the one-shot, there is a proper balance between all the different elements that players would like to experience. So a bit of dialogue and roleplaying, a bit of exploration, a bit of combat, and maybe a puzzle.

Shiroiken

Legend
Normally when I want to run a one shot, it's because I want to run an old module that doesn't fit into any existing campaign I might run. I normally let the players know the general concept and set out character creation guidelines beforehand. Once the session begins, I usually just jump in media res to get things going, with the assumption that the characters know each other. My one shots are seldom a single session, taking as long as it takes to finish the module.

S'mon

Legend
Pregen PCs with lots of roleplay hooks & cool inter-relationships that players can riff off of. Something like ALIEN is perfect for a one shot. Although length will feel more like a TV episode than a 2 hour movie. Interpersonal conflict is much more fun in a one shot than a campaign

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
I also start one-shots at the place or in the action. I handwave the getting the quest part and travel to the place. There may be 10 minutes going over PCs and 10 minutes intro to the adventure, but then it starts.
Feet to the fire, huh? I like that; it saves time and prevents the PCs from wandering around too much. I personally wouldn't like it as a player, though, because I'm the nerd whose character wonders stuff like "why did I agree to this" and "how do I avoid this fight (if I'm not a warrior-type)."

So I definitely need the impetus somewhere in my character description.

One shots with the same players? Or rotating players? Or with a group of complete strangers?
All of the above?

I'm looking at running some one-shots for the same players, more or less. Kate Welch, on the other hand, is not likely to be running another one-shot for a Game of Thrones cast. Although Sean Bean has yet to attend...

aco175

Legend
So I definitely need the impetus somewhere in my character description.
Agreed. The best or fastest approach to this is when the DM makes the PCs. In the backstory he can add some of this and how/why the group is working together. You can make things like Suicide Squad where they are all forced somehow, or make the group more like Justice League.

Remove ads