D&D General How do you picture your D&D game in your mind?

What's D&D look like when you play in your imagination?

• More realistic. Kind of like old AD&D art or LotR. Kind of generic as far as fantasy goes.

Votes: 53 86.9%
  • Anime style. My character Naruto runs when moving 60 feet or more.

Votes: 3 4.9%
  • Victorian Era Steampunkish kind of like Eberron or Crit Role. Pew pew pew!

Votes: 5 8.2%
  • WoW. Huge Eyebrows and Pauldrons for days.

Votes: 0 0.0%

DarkCrisis

Reeks of Jedi
That'd be too busy.

There is a level of detailed that's very satisfying to some people like @Charlaquin or myself.
400 was obviously hyperbole, but Liefield was/is known for added way to many adornments to his characters (in the 90s).

main-qimg-014078e706e7aaa53d3fd179c19cef8d-pjlq.jpg

Last edited:

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Busy is like Rob Liefeld adding 400 unnecessary pouches and guns to Cable of the X-Men. Having random belts and spikes and shoulder wings and whatever is like, how long does it take you to put that mess on? I get its just a style choice, but damn like it must take you forever to get dressed.

Does the manager from the Applebees-like restaurant in Office Space keep asking all those characters "Where is your flair!? Bob the Barbarian has on 30 pieces of Flair! Don't you want to be like Bob?"
Belts, yes, there are perhaps an excessive amount of, though I think mainly that’s because the characters need somewhere to hang all their weapons and pouches and potions and whatever other baubles they’re carrying, so I see that more or less as an extension of the effort to actually depict all the crap that’s on a typical D&D character’s equipment list on their person. Spikes and shoulder wings… I don’t really see that? Not more than your typical fantasy armor, anyway. I suppose on top of the excessive equipment and accessories it might be too much. But again, that too much is very D&D to me. If your character has two swords, a shield, a bow, and seven different bags and bottles they’re luffing around, not to mention their backpack and the 30 lbs of whatever you can stuff in there… it should take them an unreasonably long time to get dressed!

Mad_Jack

Legend
I choose the first option but lean more towards The 13th Warrior. Mosty for it's complete mix and disregard for what was geographically or historically appropriate for the cast to be wearing. lol

One of the things I really liked about 13th Warrior was that the group was carrying a wide variety of weapons and armor, and yet it was still mostly believable that a group of 13th century Norsemen out adventuring could have theoretically acquired all that stuff. In particular, I liked the one guy who was wearing the throwback Roman gladiator-style helmet.

He actually drew the feet. Clearly, he was feeling spicy that day.

Yeah, that's always been a pet peeve of mine - the feet. Not even just Liefeld... One of the things I dislike about a lot of the Pathfinder iconics are the triangular elephant feet that so many of them have.

Thourne

Hero
One of the things I really liked about 13th Warrior was that the group was carrying a wide variety of weapons and armor, and yet it was still mostly believable that a group of 13th century Norsemen out adventuring could have theoretically acquired all that stuff. In particular, I liked the one guy who was wearing the throwback Roman gladiator-style helmet.
Definitely, but of course some of what they were wearing wouldn't arrive for a few centuries too. Totally D&D :)

Vaalingrade

Legend
Yeah, that's always been a pet peeve of mine - the feet. Not even just Liefeld... One of the things I dislike about a lot of the Pathfinder iconics are the triangular elephant feet that so many of them have.
As much as I bag on Liefeld for his art... and writing... I would be in favor of no one depicting feet ever again.

Thourne

Hero
As much as I bag on Liefeld for his art... and writing... I would be in favor of no one depicting feet ever again.
It isn't the worst,I think Miller still wins that. Ugh. Some of those illustrations make me wonder if he had ever seen a human being or was just going off a description he read in a book, and poorly understood.

Mad_Jack

Legend
Definitely, but of course some of what they were wearing wouldn't arrive for a few centuries too. Totally D&D :)

The plate armor didn't really seem out of place, either. If anything, the one thing that seemed a bit anachronistic was the TWF ranger with his golf-bag-o-weapons on his back. (And who's actually one of my favorite characters.)

I'd just like professional artists to have some basic understanding of human anatomy and perspective, so that at least they can make a stylistic choice to draw things the way they do...

Remove ads