How do you pronounce 'EN World'?

Marc Radle

Legend
I don't imagine people actually hear it said aloud an awful lot!

I hear it said out loud more than you’d think!

Most recent example … I was in a game store just the other day and a number of people were talking about the ongoing recent issues with Paizo, and they mentioned following threads on different sites including EN World. At least 2 different people said it a couple times and always pronounced it like ‘hen’ :)

Also of note … no one else said “hey, are you sure you are saying that right? Isn’t it pronounced …”

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I hear it said out loud more than you’d think!

Most recent example … I was in a game store just the other day and a number of people were talking about the ongoing recent issues with Paizo, and they mentioned following threads on different place including EN World. At least 2 different people said it a couple times and alwas pronounced it like ‘hen’ :)
Well now you know to correct them! :D

To be fair I pronounce your username "darjer", even though I know it's a shortening of your name with "jr" on the end!
And I always took the "darjr" to be some mysterious being or character that eluded me :)

Regarding the ENWorld thing: just like another user one page (and nearly twenty years) back, I typically pronounce it E. N. World, but with German pronunciation of the letters (I rarely use English for hobby stuff outside the Internet).

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
It would seem I don't pronounce EN World at all. I dont actually know anybody personally who frequents here or even knows about it.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
I have been here since before it was ENWorld and just Eric Noah's Unofficial 3E D&D News - and I still call it EN World. I doubt that will change. And when I do hear it said aloud on a podcast or stream I figure spelling it out makes it clearer to those who are unfamiliar.

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
I actually heard EN World mentioned in my local gaming shop today. While that was cool, what surprised me was that the person in question pronounced it differently to the way it's supposed to be pronounced. It hadn't occured to me that anyone might read the name of the site differently.

So... the correct pronounciation is "E. N. World" - the letters 'E. N.' are pronounced separately. The guy in the shop, however, pronounced it "Enworld".

I can't think of another way it could be pronounced - how do you pronounce it?
I always say EN World. Like en garde.

I know it's wrong but I've been doing it for o we 10 years now and it's a hard habit to break.

Remove ads