• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How do you pronounce 'melee?'

weem

First Post

So the correct way essentially? hehe

I didn't know for sure, but I was almost positive mine was the wrong way - which I have since confirmed :p Should have known as I am pretty much the only one who pronounces it that way (that I play with at least).

Aus_Snow

First Post
Yep, this. Mel as in Mel Brooks,Lay as in eggs.
Just looked it up, and 'mel-ay' (to put it a little more neatly) is certainly one of the accepted ways, in modern English.

Moreover, it's a French word, and - unless I'm mistaken - that way is also much closer to how the French would say it.

Tallifer

Hero
When reading historical texts, I would say me- LAY because that is the French word which is being used. In those texts it means a confused mass of men fighting each other.

When playing fantasy roleplaying games, I say MEE-lee, because it is then a game term meaning hand-to-hand combat.

Much like when I read a Latin text, I pronounce things classically (YOO-lee-oos KIE-sar); but when I use Latin names and phrases in English speech or writing I pronounce it like English (JOO-lee-us SEE-zer).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads