• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How do you pronounce...?

Qlippoth

Explorer
ssssssssssssssssshhhhplllllllatttttt

"burp"

Last edited:

Illithid. Also, Piratecat had a Trillith (Illithid-Troll hybrid), and I can't imagine people pronouncing it Trillith.

I think of Lillith as an example that enforces my case.

rounser

First Post
Emphasis on the "Ill", because emphasis on the "ithid" sounds pretentious and poserish, as if the speaker is deliberately violating the basic rules of english phonetic pronounciation for sake of sounding exotic or clever.

Last edited:

Deadguy

First Post
On the contrary, rounser, it's following the normal practice. The word is structured like 'illegal' and similar negatives. The empahasis isn't placed on the prefix, but is retained in the main word (consider 'irreverent', for example). There's nothing of the poseur about it!

Naturally, however, the only 'actual' pronunciation is the one used by the DM! ;)

Oogar

First Post
Piratecat said:
Ix-it-zatch-it-el.

hehe.

Always done the second sylable, myself, just like Illicit and Illegal. But I only have a BA in english, so go find a Phd that focused in pronunciation.

Remove ads