How do you pronunce "grognard"?

How do you pronunce "grognard"?

• "GROG-nerd" – /'ɡrɑɡnərd/ for those down with the International Phonetic Alphabet

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • "grog-NARD" – /'ɡrɑɡnɑrd/ in IPA

Votes: 65 59.1%
  • "gruh-NYAR(D)" – /ɡʀɔ'ɲaʀ/ in French, IPA

Votes: 28 25.5%
  • some other way

Votes: 13 11.8%

ThrorII

Adventurer
Then again, I also usually prefer to see it spelled in English with diacritics, melée, witch makes it mee-LEE. (vowel-consonant-vowel rule, double e rule, acute accent denotes stressed syllable when not 1st.

Crap!?! You mean I actually pronounce it correctly based on English rules?????

aramis erak

Legend
Crap!?! You mean I actually pronounce it correctly based on English rules?????
Standard American English rules, yes. Most of the US doesn't use them, tho'. And the UK Received Pronunciation English rules are slightly different... but I've only taught US SAE. ;)

BigJackBrass

Explorer
Considering that most people voting think they stress the second syllable it's odd that everyone I've heard (talking about the gamers, not the historical troops) stresses the first, regardless of their nationality.

DMZ2112

Chaotic Looseleaf
Considering that most people voting think they stress the second syllable it's odd that everyone I've heard (talking about the gamers, not the historical troops) stresses the first, regardless of their nationality.
Agreed, I can't believe this is accurate. I think folks must be responding to the difference between 'nard' and 'nerd' more than the syllable emphasis. I've never once heard anyone put the emphasis on the second syllable. No emphasis at all, maybe, but never on the second syllable.

Fascinated to learn that it means 'old soldier' and was originally French. First time having that explained!

TolkienThePiss

Explorer
Agreed, I can't believe this is accurate. I think folks must be responding to the difference between 'nard' and 'nerd' more than the syllable emphasis. I've never once heard anyone put the emphasis on the second syllable. No emphasis at all, maybe, but never on the second syllable.

Fascinated to learn that it means 'old soldier' and was originally French. First time having that explained!
It actually, literally, meant a "Grumbler" and was supposedly a nickname bestowed upon the Imperial Grenadiers by Napoleon himself because they never stopped complaining. The name stuck around - there is a character in The Count of Monte Cristo (1846), a former Grognard, who lets everyone know that things were better under the old emperor and takes steps to put him back on the throne.

He'd fit in well in the Edition Wars - sweeping all of our 5e books off of the table and demanding we play his dusty old copy of Chainmail instead! Or at least spending the whole session lettings us know why Attack Matrices are better than adding up!

DMZ2112

Chaotic Looseleaf
It actually, literally, meant a "Grumbler" and was supposedly a nickname bestowed upon the Imperial Grenadiers by Napoleon himself because they never stopped complaining. The name stuck around - there is a character in The Count of Monte Cristo (1846), a former Grognard, who lets everyone know that things were better under the old emperor and takes steps to put him back on the throne.

He'd fit in well in the Edition Wars - sweeping all of our 5e books off of the table and demanding we play his dusty old copy of Chainmail instead! Or at least spending the whole session lettings us know why Attack Matrices are better than adding up!
Do you or anyone else on the thread know when we started using it? I am honestly a little surprised I never thought about this before, but I feel like this has to be the result of old wargamers -- or rather, young wargamers from a long time ago -- complaining about even older wargamers.

1986 start, incidentally, so I'm kind of a... grognennial? :p

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases