How do you protect your gaming books?

FoxWander

Adventurer
You can get a 3' x 50' roll of clear plastic 4mil sheeting at Home Depot for 5 bucks. Enough to cover a whole stack of books and no adhesive to worry about. Just cut and tape them. Waterproof covers that you can't even tell are on the books! I used it on my books when 3E first came out and they still look perfect. And like I said, put it on tight enough and you can't even see the covers. :D

Film-Gard (at bottom of page)

Last edited:

Davelozzi

Explorer
For hardcovers...

My FLGS (Pandemonion Books & Games) has relatively durable shopping bags. I usually just save them, throw whichever book I'm carrying in one sideways, wrap the rest of the bag around the book and stuff it in my backpack sandwiched inbetween a hard folder and my jacket or some other clothes to cushion it. It works good enough for when I need to carry them around, but frankly I prefer to leave them at home most of the time. I typically host sessions anyway so it's not usually a big issue.

For softcovers, I use magazine size comic book bags and stuff them in my backpack in the same fashion.

knitnerd

First Post
cyrusduane said:
For a little while now I've had all my high use books in bookcovers known as "Booksox". They are decent fabric based covers in various prints and solid covers. (You want to go with the "large size") For example, my MM is in one that has gargoyles on it.

They don't look as nice as the old Chessex covers, but they won't get brittle with age and do not increase the overall size of the book by much. (IE. you don't have the shelving clearance problems, if they fit without the cover, they will still fit.)

They are available at Staples here in the U.S. at @ $3. Other office supply chains may carry them as well. (Staples is one of the BEST places to go for gaming supplies)

Other than that, I shelf my books carefully, don't leave them in my car overnight and stopped using a backpack to transport them between games. (Picked up a canvas sachel for $9 on sale at Old Navy. Place them binder down.)

-Cyrus
I have been getting Booksox at a local closeout store for 89 cents each. I put a sparkly purple one on my PHB more to make it easier to find at the end of the game than to protect it.

mrmider

First Post
Tetsubo said:
and a reference book (Pocket Reference Guide by Glover, a GM's must have). I've got a tote bag for snacks and drinks.

Just wondering, if i can get some details ont his book, if its a must have, i would love some infromation please.

mrmider

Greylock

First Post
Like any good school-boy, I tote my books to every game. And then tuck them under the table and rely on my fellow gamers to enlighten me with *rules stuff*.

My books still look shiny and new. I've been told that the PHB has a nifty chapter on "Combat". Gonna hafta look at that someday. Maybe the library has the book around, so I don't have to sully my copy.

(Everything my DM suspected, YES, IT'S TRUE!)

Tetsubo

First Post
scourger said:
Great ideas! The tool box has a foam interior, right? That should prevent a lot of wear & tear. Now, if I could just find MY pocket reference...

Correct. It also has removable dividers that can be configured to your needs.

Remove ads