• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How do you rate your setting's chances?

How do you rate your setting's chances?

• I own0rz j00r $120K

Votes: 9 8.3%
  • Flying islands! How can I lose?

Votes: 5 4.6%
  • Quietly confident of getting through the first round

Votes: 15 13.9%
  • It\'s in the lap of the gods

Votes: 33 30.6%
  • It was worth a shot, but I can\'t see it happening for me

Votes: 24 22.2%
  • Perhaps I shouldn\'t have mentioned sentient wombats as a PC race

Votes: 3 2.8%
  • Did I really submit that? How embarassment...

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Omigod! Did I sign the proposal form? Have I been roundfiled?

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • All of the above

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • All of the above ... about three times a minute

Votes: 10 9.3%

trix

First Post
Sigma said:
Maybe this should be called, How Big is My Ego. ;)

Seriously though, you've already got 17 people saying they're going confident of making it through the first round. At least 7 of them are wrong, probably all 17 are.

Win, lose, I don't really care. What I look forward to is seeing people who've been bragging about how good their submissions are and how they think they have better than average chances of making it to the top ten lose. :D

I own0rz j00r $120K 5 7.81%
Flying islands! How can I lose? 3 4.69%
Quietly confident of getting through the first round 12 18.75%
It\'s in the lap of the gods 16 25.00%

5 people had origional ideas
3 people had flying islands, but they'll choose the best, so thats 1
12 people had solid ideas

16 people hope the judges wont notice that they cities, gods, heroes and vilians in the realms and dragonlance renamed. (Hippo Lance and Unforgotten Swamp)

Say that they couldnt get their party to play in their world, but if they cloned themselves enough, they get to play.

5+1+4

Damn those wombats. Wouldve got well with flying fish and flying islands.

-tIM

Last edited:

Chrysoula

First Post
Well, why not believe it?

I mean, is there any virtue in walking around thinking you suck, or being convinced you didn't make it before you know for sure? It seems just as silly as being convinced you've made it. I mean, there's no way to know. 10,000 entries is a lot, and there's luck involved if they're doing what some people think they're doing and discarding based on the Core Ethos Sentence, rather than reading entire submissions. You just have to hope that your writing was up to snuff (and sometimes you can be pretty confident it is, depending on who you are) and then hope you're in the right place at the right time and have the right idea to tickle their fancies. I mean, I honestly don't believe that the ten they choose will be the Top Ten of the Entire Stack. I don't think it's possible to narrow it down that far, based on a single page. But the Top Ten will be the Top Ten they like best.

And nobody can really predict what it is they'll like, until after the fact.

Arken

Explorer
I'm pretty sure I didn't make it :p

I included about every cliche possible sort of unintentionally....yes including flying islands :p

VoodooGroves

First Post
This flying island thing reminds me of the Southpark episode that was run (rerun?) last night.

Captain Chaos was trying to destroy Southpark but everything he came up with his sidekick would say "The Simpson's did it!"...

Fairly amusing. No flying islands in any submission of mine that was sent or not...

mirzabah

First Post
I must admit that the flying islands thing was inspired by a couple of posts on another thread - they seemed to be in the zeitgeist.

For the record, my own submission doesn't include flying islands ... or sentient wombats ... more's the pity :D

hong

WotC's bitch
I have no joke here, but I would just like to put on the record that "the Flying Islands" would make an excellent name for a rock band.

Thank you.

absurdum

First Post
well i entered in the "I own0rz j00r $120K" but only because i liked the use of the letter zero.

Although my entry was g0r!

*quietly confident

Last edited:

Wow, I'm sure glad nobody else thought of the hyperintelligent tree sloth angle. I am SO in there against you wombat people. I mean, how interesting can wombats be compared to ... tree sloths.

And the flying caves? Everybody has flying castles and islands. And sure, maybe a flying cave is sort of a flying island on the outside ... but INSIDE ... d00dz.

And I'm sure nobody has a race of bison-men that are sort of barbarians, but not quite.

And my halflings are thrifters, they save people the time of watching their possesions deteriorate, so they do it themselves. But to watch other people's stuff deteriorate they have to keep it with them, and use it, right? So that's how they make excuses for their constant kleptomania but they're so cute you aught to love them. They rock.

In like Flynn, baby.

--HT

mmadsen

First Post
Well, now I'm confused. Should I be happy or not that I didn't get around to fleshing out a flying-island setting?

Anyway, I wasn't thinking about the contest much -- my entry's "in the lap of the gods" -- but now I'm wondering when we'll hear the first news from WotC.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads